Photography Advice & Discussion Thread

Shyfrd

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

Yeah. It's all personal preference.

Personally I couldn't live without the better AF system, faster frame rate and 3 custom setups on the 7D.

If the 5D MkIII inherits those then I may be tempted.

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Wow! Didn't expect these many replies overnight haha. Plenty of food for thought fordfreak1 lol.

First up, just seeing the 60D mentioned and seen it's only $220 more for the body only. Is it worth that extra money to go one up?

The lenses I'm pretty sure I'd like to get would be Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, and either the 17-50 or 28-75. Out of the last 2 what would be best for me?

I also noticed these in the links provided by PLAYRZ. What's the difference between the 2 that differs the price that much?

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF)

Price: $461.00 AUD

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD

Price: $339.00 AUD

As Worm stated, Canon lenses are expensive so I'll stick with Tamron for now until I have the experience up and want a Canon lens.

Thanks heaps for the replies guys, really appreciate it! :) Can't wait to get one and start playing round :danced:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 21d

The more expensive of the two has both image stabilization (VC) and internal focusing (IF). Do you need image stabilizer? Probably help if your just starting out. The main benefit of internal focusing for most people is when your using filters. On an internally focused lens the front ring doesn't move when focus is changed, so if for example you are using a polarizing filter you can set the filter to the correct position and when you refocus it doesn't change the filter effect (this is a good thing). On a standard lens you would need to readjust after every focus.... very annoying.

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Ah sweet as thanks for that PLAYRZ. So I'll be getting the 50mm and 17-50. Is the $220 difference between the 60D and 600D worth it?? Should get the money this week, thanks to the government for the apprenticeship grant! So order the camera shortly after receiving it and then the wait for it :w00t2:

You've got a crazy ar*e camera Adam, I think I'll restrain myself from spending that much though haha

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

I think it would be worth it.

The below paragraph is taken from a review on the 600D...

Those wishing to consider an even more capable camera should next read the Canon EOS 60D DSLR Review. The EOS 60D is currently the next step up in Canon DSLR performance. Some of the 60D's advantages include a larger viewfinder (pentaprism vs. pentamirror), larger grip, longer battery life (almost 3 times as many shots on a full charge as the 600D), rear control dial, top LCD, shorter shutter lag, faster frame rate with a deeper buffer, faster shutter speed (1/8000 vs. 1/4000), faster max flash synch shutter speed (X-synch = 1/250 vs. 1/200), finer ISO setting control (1/3 stop vs. 1 stop) better AF system (still 9 points, but all are cross-type on the 60D vs. only the center point on the T3i), tighter partial and spot metering areas, horizon level ... The price jump to the 60D is not dramatic. The modestly larger size and weight of the 60D will not be seen as a benefit to everyone.

The 600D has the AF system from the superseded 30D. While the 60D has the AF system from the superseded 40D, which was also used on the 50D.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 27d

ouch

but yes that's what im afraid of getting myself into.

Just do it mate. Everyone's gotta have a hobby.. Sometimes I regret buying my first telescope but on a good night it's totally worth it. I've got a 40D and a mount for a refractor telescope.. Worth every penny.