Photography Advice & Discussion Thread

Shyfrd

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 18d

I saw those on fb Adam, some nice photos!

They are wireless triggers, I have three of them. They are transceivers (can send and receive) have 16 channels, can be plugged in to control strobes, or remote shutter, fairly versatile. A pair is around $65, or they are $35 each and you can add as many as you want, group them on different channels, etc. or even mix flashes and remote shutters to photograph something from different angles with the same lighting setup, different lighting setups, etc.

Only thing I found when playing around with them is that if they are around 300mm or closer they interfere with each other and don't work, that was only on one occasion so far though.

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members

It is a canon 430ex. Not too bad, long recycle time but it could be the batteries, I bought it secondhand and haven't changed them yet. I have 2 yn560's on the way that should be here next week, will be interesting to see how they go.

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members

I don't know, price mainly, 2 YN560 II's for less than the price of one 565, $170-180 is getting too steep for me for a 'cheap' flash, once I have some experience with their products I might be more comfortable.

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 25d

gee dan your not messing around getting some gear going hahah.

good on ya. id get into photography more, but just dont have the coin. prob never will :(

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

Sounds like the Cactus triggers are a simple trigger, ie: they can't send/receive ETTL data and control flash power etc.

Rechargeable batteries for sure! Good ones too. Not supermarket off the shelf items.

Do you understand the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, ISO, flash power and flash to subject distance?

It's still something I need to spend a lot more time practicing.

• Pitlane Member
  • Donating Members

Hi Adam, they do not support ETTL. Gadget Infinity put this down to cost, they wanted to make a reliable product at a price point, and also did not want to have to alter their hotshoe connector design to suit specific camera brands, keeping there transcievers simple to manufacture and again keep the costs down. At my level they are probably still overkill!

I need to get a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to test the remote shutter, and have also since found out they won't fire when within 300mm by design.

I have a good understanding of shutter speed, aperture, ISO, but not really of flash power and flash to subject distance. This is something I hope to develop more when I get my new flashes and start playing with all of this equipment.

I also found you can use them for remote triggering in bulb mode as well, just need to hold the button for 2 seconds to start it, and then press again to stop, which will be handy for those light painting sessions.