Photography Advice & Discussion Thread

Shyfrd

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 27d

nah watch out for the numbers. youve chosen 18-55. others been recommending 15-85mm which is a fair bit more expensive lol.

Canon EOS 600D Premium kit with 15-85mm IS Lens

Price: $1379.00 AUD

considering camera house are asking more than $2k, that's a bargain!

The only other options I would get with it would be the battery grip, memory card (have to check prices from places in geelong), warranty/ies and a screen protector. wouldnt get everything they show lol

Edited by Shyfrd

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 29d

ahh I see

fk me a $700 difference from the one I clicked to the one you clicked. geeezus

$1400 from teds gets you the 600D and 18-55mm lens and 55-250mm lens. not bad I guess.

is the 18-55mm lens worth it?

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 27d

not sure. im far from the right person to ask haha. hopefully one of the photography guru's can answer that one! haha :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 2m 17d

If your trying to save a bit of cash but still want a reasonable quality lens perhaps you would be better to get camera body only and add one of the following lens -

Sigma-17-50-OS.jpg

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

Price: $633.00 AUD

OR

tamron-17-50-vc.jpg

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II VC LD Aspherical (IF)

Price: $461.00 AUD

OR

tamron-17-50mm.jpg

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di-II LD

Price: $343.00 AUD

Although these lens have a shorter focal length then the Canon 15-85mm, they make up for it with speed and comparable/better glass. When I say speed I am referring to the f stop (aperture) abilities of the lens. All of these lens will give you the ability to maintain f2.8 through the focal range, compared to the f3.5-5.6 of the Canon. OK.... better explain a bit more....

Without giving you the whole "Photography 101" Basically what this means is that on the Canon lens the absolute widest aperture you can achieve at 15mm is f3.5 and at 85mm is f5.6. So when you zoom the lens you lose light (exposure). Compare this to the above lens which are capable of f2.8 though the ENTIRE focal range and this gives you more control of light, depth of field, etc. To put this in perspective f2.8 is a full 2 stops more than f5.6 which is eight times as much light. The advantages of this are wide and varied and best left for another rant.

The first two lens both have image stabilization, note the 'OS' and 'VC'. I would also invest in a few nice fixed (prime) lens. The one below is dirt cheap and well worth investing in.

ef_50mm_f18_ii.jpg

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Price: $87.00 AUD

So in summary, buy the body only and pick a lens that suits your needs. Hope this hasnt confused you more!!

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 1d
ahh I see

fk me a $700 difference from the one I clicked to the one you clicked. geeezus

$1400 from teds gets you the 600D and 18-55mm lens and 55-250mm lens. not bad I guess.

is the 18-55mm lens worth it?

You'll probably use 18-55 more than 55-250...

In my opinion... By a Tamron 28-75 2.8 or 17-50 2.8...

Best bang for buck lenses out there!!!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 29d

Forget the battery grip and forget the screen protector.

When you select something from DWI all those options are turned on.

You won't need all the extras.

How much is the 18-55?

You could get some L series glass in the form of a 24-105 IS. Great walk around lens with a useful focal range.

If you want something wider then add the Canon 10-22mm.

The 50mm f1.8 II is a great value lens. It's sharp as a tack and cheap as chips.

Sigma have serious quality control issues. If you want to buy Sigma then go to a store and make sure it's a good copy before buying it. Too many hassles buying those on grey import.

I only buy Canon lenses. I've got a range which covers 10-400mm including a macro. Never had a quality issue with any of my gear.

As for what focal length is best for you really depends on the subject matter you see yourself photographing. I have a wide variety of interests hence the big focal range.

I use Lightroom for cataloging and editing. I very rarely use Photoshop. I hate sitting at the PC for ages editing photos.

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 29d
15-85 for sure.

The 17-55mm is the better than the 15-85mm. I always get those 2 mixed up.

The 17-55 is f/2.8 across the entire focal length range. I don't know how much it is, but I'd guess it's considerably more.

Another thing to consider is that all the lenses you mentioned are EF-S mount. So if you ever upgrade to a full frame camera they won't fit. Not that a crop sensor is a bad thing. I've used both and prefer my 7D over the 5D MkII because of the tighter FOV. That comes in handy for macro and wildlife where you want to get as close as possible.

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 1d

Yeah... Don't stress about upgrading to full frame if you are just starting out! LOL

I actually like the 60D better than the 7D... Lighter and I like the flip screen... Sure the sensor isn't as good, but most other things are just as good... I like that the user functions are on the right... It's not as well made or durable, but I don't go out in the rain or get it dirty...

Guess it's all just personal preference...

Yeah the 17-55 you are talking about is about $1200 in canon, whereas Tamron is about $350-400... The Tamron is great value for money...

The 15-85 is pretty sh*t wide open... I looked at the lens for a while.... Probably good on a holiday...

I pretty much shoot with my 17-55 Tamron most of the time... It's the non IS... I use it with a tripod if need be... And it's 2.8 allows for pretty good shooting from your hand!