Photography Advice & Discussion Thread

Shyfrd

• Turboless
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Hey guys, well as some know I've been wanting a Digital SLR for quite some time. :blush:

Always had my eyes on the Canon 600D. So I know what I'm after. I'll be doing some all round photography but obviously would love to take photos of my car, friends cars, cruises etc. :w00t2:

I was just after some tips on what lens/'s to get for a first timer in the digital slr world? Or lense 'kit' (what are the different uses of each one?) that comes with the camera, which one should I go for? The choices I have are; 15-85mm IS Lens .. 18-55mm IS II Lens .. 18-135mm IS Lens .. 18-200mm IS Lens .. 18-55mm IS II Lens and 55-250mm IS Lens (Together).

Which 'kit' do you think best fits my needs, or what other lens do you recommend for a new comer to DSLR?

Also what program to edit photos, I realise Photoshop would be the obvious answer but what others have people used/like?

Thanks to anyone who can help! :biggrin:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 11d

Hi mate,

I had a chat with another friend who's into all the photo stuff he said 18-55/55-250 would be fine to start off with and use Lightroom for the software he said you should use these lens because it lets you experience a wide focal range so you can pick what you like the best then tailor your lens purchases around that.

Hope that helps

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 21d

I'd recommend you go for the 15-85mm kit. The focal ranges stated on these lens are based on 35mm film ratios, so your 15-85mm is actually a 24-135mm (1.6x on a Canon sensor). This focal range would be ideal for everything from landscape, group photos to portraits, including your car :) Plus if memory serves me correctly it is also the only one with USM (Ultra Sonic Motor) which will give you faster, quieter focusing.

The other benefit to this as opposed to a twin lens kit, especially for a beginner, is that you dont need to to carry and change lens. No point in having another lens if it sits in the drawer or glovebox not being used, plus it eliminates the need to remove the lens, which exposes the sensor and lens to dust, etc. Why not go for the 18-200mm then you ask? Well its kind of a 'jack of all trades, master of none' type scenario. It will likely suffer in quality at both ends of the focal length, albeit will have a 'sweet spot' somewhere in the middle, but ultimately you sacrifice quality for quantity.

All of the lens you listed are essentially entry level quality (which you would expect on a 600D) but the 15-85mm is the pick of the litter. It will give you enough focal range for your requirements and a feel for what you might like to 'specialize' in. When your ready you can invest in some good quality lens to suit your needs/interests.

• Turboless
  • Donating Members

thanks for the replies spinr33 and PLAYRZ. I've never heard of Lightroom, ill have to look it up and see what its like. I've had some use with Photoshop but that was back in cs1/2 days lol..ages ago now.

Haha funny you mention the 15-85mm lens. Was thinking it'd be mentioned by someone, with that one being the highest priced by a fair bit, obviously for good reasons I assumed lol. Make a good point about having a lens not being used. Thanks again for the reply and the info, much appreciated :spoton: Although my cars not much chop being an n/a (finished p's in Feb, lost licence in April so no need for turbo yet), my next will be! Few friends have some cool cars and there's some nice places round here for backdrops! Can't wait to get into it, wanted to get the camera about 5months ago to make this 6month suspension go quicker :derisive:

Will let you know what I end up getting..hopefully soon!

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

im in the same boat shy as you know.

but I cant see myself getting one anytime soon

a mate of mine takes his best pics with a fixed lens, I can ask what type when I see him next. but it take wicked shots.

but a 600D twin kit your looking at 1400 bucks. eeek

• Turboless
  • Donating Members

$1400 for the 15-85mm lens. Getting it from the same place my old man got his from not long ago. Here Although some people wouldn't trust it but the old man swears by it, no problems with his Nikon at all. Alot cheaper than over here in stores..

Yeah if you can find out what he's got, that'd be awesome mate!

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 2d

15-85 for sure.

Have a look at DWI. I'll bet they'll be cheaper than the place you've looked at.

Purchase with PayPal for added security.

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 5d

:stupid:

That's expensive...

15-85 good lens... But you'll need to use software to straighten some wide open pics ;-)

• Turboless
  • Donating Members

Ah u go through dwi too adam. that's wat the link is above, as said the old man never had a drama with them. Never thought about using paypal for security, cheers!

Yeh I doubt ill have the steadiest hand worm haha. May pick your brain for some tips too when I have it on a cruise. Both you and adam take awesome shots!

What programs do you both use?

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

when buying through them what options would you actually need.

I clicked the 600 D and left every option as yes. and it came to 1900 bucks eek? lol.

so the Canon EOS 600D kit with 18-55mm IS II Lens Digital SLR Cameras = $769?

that site is confusing me