Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

Reidos

• Member For: 12y 7m 10d

Hi all. Firstly, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've seen a few similar threads but I still don't think I can cure my problem.

I have a BF N/A XR6 and my first mods were a catback custom exhaust and a k&n filter, simple mods. I had these for a while and then went on a few months later to some extractors and hi flow cat. The problem I've found is since I got the extractors and cat, I've had a constant engine light on my dash, which reads as an 02 sensor. After installation I picked up on this and the guy doing my exhaust said the car just needs to adjust to the mods and to give it a couple 100ks. Well it never turned off so the guy sent me to his mate with a computer to clear the code.

Hooray, the code has gone.... 50ks later it's back on, so this didn't work :( we put the car back on the hoist and the exhaust guy made a phone call. I think (this is about a year ago) we worked out that the extractors (or cat, I forgot) were ordered for a BA, which if I am correct, only has one oxygen sensor, and the BFs have 2? So the one I was missing was just behind the cat.

The exhaust guy thought he would try to weld on a nut and hook up a sensor so the computer thinks there are 2 there, but this didn't work either. The only way I can get past this is unplugging the battery to reset the computer, and sometimes I can get 500kms out of it before it recognizes the fault again.

It doesn't really bother me too much although I've heard that if the engine light is illuminated, the car won't run at it's full potential (can someone clarify this?)

My main concern now, is that I want to sell the car for a turbo, but I don't want the next buyer to think I sold them a lemon because the engine light is on.

Ps, I've checked the code multiple times and it is only the oxygen sensor so there are no other problems.

Sorry for the long post, I hope somone can help.

Reid.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 29d

If yours had 2 x O2 sensors . . . . . what the hell did the exhaust guy do with the second one when he fitted your new setup? He had to know it was there because he would have had to unscrew it to take your stock parts off.

Solution to this is a flash box and a tune

• Member For: 12y 7m 13d

Many people with BF's and after market cats are just living with the engine light. It doesn't mean anything other than that the car doesn't meet the emissions ratings anymore, nothing wrong with the motor. With some cars it doesn't light up at all though, I think its luck of the draw. If you can live with the light don't worry about it, but if it's that annoying get it tuned so they can turn it off.

Yeah he did unscrew it to remove it, but had nothing to screw it into with the aftermarket parts, which is why I think he made up a pretend part on the cat to screw it into, but it didn't work. If I get a flash box, can I do this myself? And will I be able to keep this box once I upgrade to a T?

I can live with the light, but I don't want to sell it with the light on so I may have to get the flash box I'd say. Thanks for the replies guys.

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 29d

If you get a flash box you will still have to get your tuner to turn it off for you - ford probably could too if your knew someone and asked nicely.

your flash box could be used in your next falcon . . . . but you will have to flash the car back to standard to sell it, light will come back on.

If you kept your stock parts you could always refit before selling.

Dodgy option, pull cluster out, pull it apart, make light no work, trade it in later

Lol I suppose that could work haha. I think maybe I'll look for a standard BF cat that I can plug the sensor into, and keep the high flow for my next falcon possibly. I might head up to my exhaust guy when I get time off work and figure something out. I don't want a bad rep for dodging up a car to sell :P

Appreciate the help though guys.

Reid.

I'm from Brisbane but due to work I've been in Dirranbandi for the last 7 months (woop woop). It makes it hard to find a tuner or anything car related but the only exception is an exhaust shop an hour from my town.