Turbo Bearings Gone

CBXRT

• 2 weeks later...
  • Banned
  • Member For: 13y 5m 1d

OK lads - thanks for your help previously. Oil line filter was removed and not blocked - so its either blocked in the line or my turbo has simply succumbed to a pretty hard life and 175,000ks (most likely).

After listening to the turbo, mechanics reckon it would not be cost-efficient to rebuild as its completely stuffed - so I've tracked down a Garrett 3540 turbo from a wrecker for $700 with 3 mth warranty "from an engine already sold, turbo all that's left" - in the pictures he admits its "dirty" (it looks almost black?) but "nothing to worry about" as no shaft play or bearing noise from a car with 123,000ks.

What do you think? Is the dirtyness an issue and steer clear, or is that just part and parcel of wrecking yards??? (who I don't really trust)

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by CBXRT

• Member For: 12y 8m 28d

can u veiw before purchase or is it online cause last thing u want is to pay 700 the find out your up for rebuild soon after that, I dont really trust wreakers myself (have u seen a non dodgy lookin wreakers b4) if u cant veiw bit of a gamble imo, but if your not gettin car anyway good clean up wack her on and send it on its way hopefuly sumptin will go your way

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 20d

I'd leave it and let the missus deal with it if she wants it as there is nothing written to say that it must be fixed andonce she takes posession than anything could happen to it. Otherwise if you fixed it and tld her then she will bring it back whenever theres a problem and say hey you *beep* now fix the brakes, suspension blah blah blah...

Fck her I say as she has obviously screwed you!!!

Do I sound Bitter much, lol. Seen a great mate pay off his ex missus car without any legal saying that he had to! Isn't that right Ray you soft c0ck...

• Member For: 13y 14d

I agree , why the hell would you fix it if you're getting divorced and she is taking it. You sound like a nice bloke or she has you by the balls. Throw the keys at her and say it's yours and all the problems that come with it lol

Edited by helbz