Thottle Stuck

lowroller

• Member For: 13y 2m 9d

Was driving home tonight and gave the car a bit (nothing crazy) at a set of lights. While I was changing through the gears I noticed the engine was revving out when I put the clutch in (even though my right foot was off). So I put the clutch in, shifted into neutral, turned the engine off (It was revving up to 5000 or somewhere like that) and pulled off the road.

After I pulled over I tried to start it again and it was still revving high so I turned it off and waited some more. 15 minutes or so later it was back to normal and I drove home. Tried a few quick starts from standing now and then to replicate what happened but all seems normal..

Anyone else had this happen or know why it happened?

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

Only instances that I know of are from a rolled-up mat underneath the pedal.

The throttle position sensor apparently has a few fail-safes in it so wouldn't think that would be the cause, would assume you'd have a warning light and a dead pedal if it was faulty. :unsure:

Either way not something you want to stuff around with, best to get an expert's opinion ASAP.

I changed the floor mats from the ones I used to have because they used to roll over on the clutch side, but these ones haven't been doing it. When I pulled over I didn't notice the mat in a strange position..

Just a question.. If the mat rolls under the pedal, doesn't that stop you from being able to accelerate rather than stopping the pedal from coming back up?

I might take the driver side mat out altogether just to be sure and drive cautious for a while.

I think I can safely say it's not the floor mat after last night.

I was driving slowly when I noticed I had no acceleration and the ETC warning light was on. The speedo wasn't working before this happened either, but I wasn't driving far or fast so I ignored that (it always starts working again after I turn the ignition off and on again)

So I pulled over and turned the key off and on, all was normal again..

A trip to Ford, huh?

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 4d

Nah...just keep driving it till you either end up in a wall or a ditch.

Why bother getting something as serious as a faulty accelerator pedal looked at...waste of time and money.

:)