Clunking In Drivetrain

gemms61

• Member For: 13y 26d

Thanks Johnny

Not sure what the LSD diff is they quoted, it was from a diif guy in Hornsby.

I will try to get used to it and see how it goes.

I have also read that some tuning shops change the diff oil and claim it helps, any thoughts??

Cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5d

Hmm changing oils, Not sure mate, just have to try I guess?

What did ford say when u took it in for the service ??

Maybe youll just have to get use to easing off the throttle like ppl say..

I only had the problem after I fitted the lsd, but we resolved it with new bushes.

Which I still think your bushes might be getting worn, and its worth taking a look at them aswell b4 u get to worried :)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 16d

I have a xr6t and I've had all of the bushes replaced on the diff at every service. (15,000km and now 30,000km)

the noise goes away for a few weeks and then comes back again.

I asked the service guy "is this a common problem, or am I just lucky enough to keep splitting/destroying bushes?" and his response was "nah, we do these everyday!"... :lol: comforting!

he said the only option was to put aftermarket ones in and then put up with vibrations due to the product being a harsher bush. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 5m 29d

I'm so fkn over the terrible drivetrain clunks and thumps in my FG XR6T. Diff bushes have been replaced 3 times in 75,000kms and there's always some sort of noise and harsh kickback when backing off the throttle when accelerating hard. These cars have to be the most under-engineered I've driven, they can't cope with the torque from the standard setup, it's like Ford designed the outside and said "just chuck that sh*tty rear end from the bf under it and get it out the door".

After this I'll never buy another Aus built car, euro is the way to go imo.

• Member For: 18y 11m 7d

This comes standard with most, if not all Ford's. Hence why they can't find the "issue".

The advice given in this thread to control the clunk with your right foot is the best cure.

Edited by 2fardown

• 2 weeks later...
  • FLY-FPV
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 8m 22d

I've had the same problem and I've changed every bush every rubber in the ass end and had the diff auto and tailshaft upgraded and it's still there it is just tail shaft slap every ba bf fg has it don't worry it's normal it's just a bit of play through the drive line

• Member For: 15y 4m 26d

hmm good that I found this thread and see its normal..I too have this happen somtimes in my 09' G6ET...not just the pullback u get after backing off midway through a gear after heavy acceleration - think that's part of the FG range of ZF's...but more along the lines of small clunks from the rear after low speed acceleration/backing off..adjusting the style of backing off helps a bit but it is still annoying it even exists..dont mind though if its normal..got a service at pitlane recently neway so if there were any real issues wouldv deff found em

• 1 month later...