In The Club

Bomber

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m 17d

Was just looking at some intercooler pics tonight and have often wondered how you get a 3" cold side pipe through the radiator support panel.

I'm thinking maybe the plastic pieces that the pipes pass through can be unbolted? I didn't need to do mine with the 76mm pipes but I'm just curious. If it's the case, I might remove them when I take the cooler off for p/coating.

If someone could confirm that would be great.

• I'm getten too old for this s**t
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 22d

I've only driven mine at night with 350 on 98 and 1st is completely useless but 2nd is sliding around too (zero degrees at night though). That's on 275 nexen n'fera's

I didn't like these tyres much at all.........cheap...sure.........but not good with power and that was with 320kw

• Donating Members

Called into PWR today. They confirmed someone has already tried to fit the b series kit without success. They do some water oil options - not dissimilar to the ZF exchanger. The advantage with them is that they're more compact and no electrics required but would require a water re-plumb as well as the sandwich plate. Basically, a remote (installed off engine) and much more efficient version of the F6 oil cooler.

Initially I dismissed this but after thinking about it some more I'll take a look at some mounting options and get my head around possible water plumb options. And before anyone starts, yes I'm aware of the potential contamination issue (as is the case for factory fit F6 version) but I'll back PWR's product as I've done with the ZF exchanger. Same advantage here - controlled temps.

• Like 2

• Donating Members

Water plumbing is easy as. Tee off the lines to the ZF cooler so two of them and six clamps - job done. Would want to keep it mounted as close to the oil filter as possible to keep the oil feed lines short so will have a look at that soon - preferably on a hoist.

Given this option requires no electrics it would be a pretty simple install if engineered right. I'd want it to be the same quality as their exchanger so basically OEM neat. Now, I've just got to find and ideal spot to mount the sucker and I've ruled out the left rail near firewall already, so people running surge tanks could use it also.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 7d

You would want to put it in series with the zf cooler

So it goes through engine oil heat exchanger first and then through the zf cooler, same as factory then

If you used a "T" it would alter the flow of coolant through each cooler

• Donating Members

^^^ Yes it would be in series and through the oil cooler first. You're correct about the T. You actually won't need any if plumbed in series. Just some joiners or segment the hose and a reroute to complete the circuit. You're basically just pumping coolant through another vessel in line. What happens internally within the oil compartment other than transfer is inconsequential.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Ok, got some more info from PWR today and don't think the water-to-oil option is going to work. They really need decent flow so ideally are plumbed via the main hose from the radiator. We don't have a lot of room down there and don't like the idea of reconfiguring the main radiator hose. So..back to looking at an air-to-oil mounted in a suitable spot with thermo + switch.

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Setrab have some nice engine oil coolers, although if going by their recommended sizes it would be pretty big.

Only issue would be securing it and where to mount it.

• Like 1