Known Issues Fg Xr6T

Timmy-XR6T

• Member For: 10y 3m 14d

My FG MKII is over 2 years old now and for the last year when I start the car there is a horrible rattle sound coming from underneath. This happens more so on cold days but it pisses me off that I bought a new car and a year in it's making this horrible noise. The noise goes away when I push the clutch in but Ford just said "It's a known issue and we don't know how to fix it". Anyone else had this happen and overcome the issue? Is it the clutch itself rattling? There seems to be no issues when driving the car in shifting gears and once warm or even on a arm day there is no noise.

• 2 months later...
  • Member For: 12y 3m 12d

My list of problems of my 2011 FG before getting rid of the car. In 3 years I did 36,000kms and it was predominantly driven by my wife.

- Diff bushes replaced twice

- Gear knob leather perished (manual)

- AC regassed and assessed for continual issues with it not being cold. I traded it without a working AC

- Passengers seat belt buckle replaced.

- Both front interior door handles replaced as the handles snapped

- clutch master cylinder replaced and bled multiple times as pedal would stick to the floor.

Other general complaints, seats too soft and do not hold you in place when cornering hard. The thing handles like a boat for a "performance car". Dash panels like up poorly.

Good points.

Paint quality was the best of any new car I had owned. Engine was amazing but I do wished it had another 1500-2000 rpm in it. Gearbox took the punishment without a complaint (bar the crappy plastic master cylinder issues).

Admittedly I went back to a diesel Landcruiser so in terms of performance I am worse off but I just hated the car in the end and was forever fearful that something else would break. Apparently I do have a higher level of expectation from a nrw vehicle than most as most people who own them can simply ignore the small issues that drive me up the wall.

Hi,

I have a XR6 Turbo ute Manual 2013. is anyone familiar with or experienced a clunk everytime you change gear. Sounds like tail shaft or diff. It really gives me the Sh///ts.

Its the diff moving. The manuals are worse but the autos do it too if you drive them hard.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 1m 11d

My list of problems of my 2011 FG before getting rid of the car. In 3 years I did 36,000kms and it was predominantly driven by my wife.

- Diff bushes replaced twice

- Gear knob leather perished (manual)

- AC regassed and assessed for continual issues with it not being cold. I traded it without a working AC

- Passengers seat belt buckle replaced.

- Both front interior door handles replaced as the handles snapped

- clutch master cylinder replaced and bled multiple times as pedal would stick to the floor.

Other general complaints, seats too soft and do not hold you in place when cornering hard. The thing handles like a boat for a "performance car". Dash panels like up poorly.

Good points.

Paint quality was the best of any new car I had owned. Engine was amazing but I do wished it had another 1500-2000 rpm in it. Gearbox took the punishment without a complaint (bar the crappy plastic master cylinder issues).

Admittedly I went back to a diesel Landcruiser so in terms of performance I am worse off but I just hated the car in the end and was forever fearful that something else would break. Apparently I do have a higher level of expectation from a nrw vehicle than most as most people who own them can simply ignore the small issues that drive me up the wall.

I was the same with my FG's mate. I had similar complaints with both my FG turbo and FG2 GT...lost all love for both as a result and sold them on. It's a shame, coz the motors in both were fantastic...and I really wanted to like the cars.

• Member For: 10y 5m 4d

Has anybody actually ever driven a car that weighs 2000kg that handles like its on rails? They can be better than a standard falcon for sure but fark me you cant defy the laws of physics..

Big cars just require a looser ballsy driving style to be properly quick...there is a shining example in australias motorsport history. A man who was renowned for finding more and consistently driving beyond the limitations of a vehicle..

Not defending the falcon per say, I just dont understand what people want out of a big heavy car with more power than it can get down and 8inch tyers?

First mods I did were brakes, suspension and wheels(more tyre) which is what everybody complains about...but no the norm is to just feed more power into it and complain when all the stock sh*t that wasn't good enough in the first place still sucks...just sayin...

Edited by barnz
  • Like 5

• Sandtrap Motorsport
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m

Has anybody actually ever driven a car that weighs 2000kg that handles like its on rails? They can be better than a standard falcon for sure but fark me you cant defy the laws of physics..

Big cars just require a looser ballsy driving style to be properly quick...there is a shining example in australias motorsport history. A man who was renowned for finding more and consistently driving beyond the limitations of a vehicle..

Not defending the falcon per say, I just dont understand what people want out of a big heavy car with more power than it can get down and 8inch tyers?

First mods I did were brakes, suspension and wheels(more tyre) which is what everybody complains about...but no the norm is to just feed more power into it and complain when all the stock sh*t that wasn't good enough in the first place still sucks...just sayin...

Yep... Well close.

Took a lot of effort with suspension, brakes and setup. Worth every bit. This had no body roll haha

d2635d4b2ce5d65fc651bcdc4efb74aa.jpg

• Like 2

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 25d

I have 3 things to complain about. Diff Bushes needed replacing early. First mod done to the the car with nolothane goodies.

I had the gear knob replaced under warranty at 2 years of age. The gear knob has now lost the clear cover on top when it came off 3 weeks ago.

The leather has started to come loose and is rotating when ever I grab the gear stick. I suspect it will start to come off sooner or later.

Surely there is an alternative after market product for it, but I have no idea what I am looking for and what to keep an eye out for.

The third thing I am having issues with, is a f*ckEN squeaky as f*ck driver seat!!! it is driving me bonkers.

took it to McInerny ford 4-6 weeks ago and they had a look and said it was not the welds.

The lubed up some area and it was quiet for 3 weeks. Now it has come back with a vengence..... squeakier than ever....

:(

• Like 1

Yes I have, an R35. Weighs almost the same as a Falcon and costs 3 times as much, probably why it can defy physics ☺

Yep... Well close.

Took a lot of effort with suspension, brakes and setup. Worth every bit. This had no body roll haha

d2635d4b2ce5d65fc651bcdc4efb74aa.jpg

How did you go with understeer after all of this? I followed your build back in the day and was keen to try it but was reluctant to spend money on the car for fear I would sell it out of frustration.