Clutch And Gear Stick Vibration

lowroller

• Member For: 13y 2m 27d

I have a BF XR6T magnet ute with a 6 speed manual with a vibration problem. The clutch pedal and the gear stick both vibrate when accelerating and it gets worse as the revs rise. If I'm not in gear and just rolling the problem is not there. The vibration is in all gears. It doesn't happen with the clutch in.

I don't feel anything strange with the operation of the clutch as far as changing gears and it's not noisey, but the vibration is very noticeable and starting to worry me. I haven't driven any other manual XR6t's so I don't know if this is normal or not.. I hope not.

The car is bog stock standard with no mods.

Hoping someone might have an idea what might be the problem here.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 28d

What kind of vibration are we talking about. Is it you can see the knob vibing or can you feel it through the car, the knob will show a bit of movement as it is directly attached to the gears in the box. The clutch does have a small bit of vib normally but yet again depends how much you are talking about.

Rosie: I checked the cross member bolts and the engine mount bolts except the bolt on the driver side engine mount which I can't get to at all. It seems the only way I can get to it will be to take the turbo off.

Wenier: It's more than just a little. It's not exactly rattling or anything but it's very noticeable and hard to ignore.

Thanks for your replys btw!

• Member For: 17y 7d

It doesn't sound like the Mounts are the problem, but the Engine Mount you can't get to is the one that always goes first!

- It cops the heat from the Turbo.

Just open the Bonnet and look to see if the Engine is leaning to the left, as you look at it!

This will show you if the Mount has collapsed.

A dud Centre Bearing can cause the vibration you are talking about!

- I would definitely check this!

I have had the same vibratio, but it was so long ago, I can't remember exactly what it was!

- Too many issues and too many fixes.

• Banned
  • Member For: 13y 4m 24d

Swap it for a ZF, that'll fix it..... :stirthepot:

In all seriousness, my experience is that some T's have that vibratation worse than others. Doesn't seem to cause any reliability issues, so I wouldn't worry about it too much..... (SS Commo 6 speeds/clutches shake in the exact same way).

I checked the mounts and bolts again and the engine is sitting fine and not moving around. Will get under the car tomorrow to see if there's anything moving around more than it should (like exhaust). If I find nothing and it gets worse I'll take it somewhere. If it doesn't get worse I'll just take it as a sign that it's nothing to worry about :)

Thanks guys.