Fg F6 Ute Sq Build

Gonadman2

• Member For: 17y 6m

Ok, so I've been procrastinating for over a year now not putting this thread up here. But I thought a few of you guys might be interested in my car audio install. This is 100% done by myself only, so it isn't perfect, with some aspects having tried for the first time during construction. Its reaching the end of the road soon, so at least I have a bit to write about. Feel free to offer comments or criticism, or ask questions.

I initially started out with a basic dynamat and after market speaker upgrade for the front doors.

IMG_0370.jpg

Then a small amount of dynamat for the rear wall, followed by a layer of foam and mass loaded vinyl.

F6MLV-004.jpg

F6MLV-006.jpg

Painfully running new wire through to the doors.

IMG_1469.jpg

MDF rings were made, with Focal Utopia 6W2 midbass drivers mounted.

IMG_1473.jpg

Then I started on the A-Pillar builds for the Focal Utopia 3W2 midrange, and TBe tweeter.

F63W2Rings024.jpg

I bought a second pair of A-Pillar trims and carved out a rough shape.

F6A-Pillars001.jpg

Wrapped them in hot pink lycra. :)

F6A-Pillars002.jpg

Then hit them with fibreglass resin.

F6A-Pillars006.jpg

Rough bogging.

F6A-Pillars008.jpg

Fine Bogging

F6A-Pillars007.jpg

Many hours later...

Laid down a black epoxy coat.

APillars004.jpg

And then wrapped them in Carbon Fibre.

APillars009-1.jpg

At this point I got bored of the weeks that I was burning on the pillars and moved back to the front doors. My initial treatment was what you might expect from a 'reputable' car audio store, but I wanted more.

I used some closed cell foam to seal the MDF to the door frame.

A-Pillars002-1.jpg

I then sealed all of the service holes with MDF trims, and then dynamatted over them, to completely seal the front side of the woofer. This is very important as it reduces cancelling and resulted in more midbass. Also, I did not worry about fully sealing the doors, as the 6W2 woofer as a QTS of 0.75 - almost a perfect alignment for optimum power handling vs low end extension in a infinite baffle arrangement. Very few car audio speakers are built like this. I now have a 6db cut at 80hz due the extra bass that resulted from doing this. Basically, I can throw more juice at my system before it starts to break up.

A-Pillars003.jpg

Moving back to the A-Pillars, I started laying the clear epoxy over them. This is a very messy process.

A-Pillars005.jpg

A little shot testing the lighting.

A-Pillars006.jpg

From here I stripped the interior as I had a lot of cable to run.

Mass loaded vinyl under the carpets. It was nice of Ford to install the constrained layer (foam) for me!

InteriorRemoval003.jpg

I finished sound deadening the interior and ran in some cable. I didn't get any shots, but I removed the roof lining also and SD'ed the roof as well. This was very worthwhile as there was a lot of ringing from vibrating metal up there! Much lower resonance now.

UteInstall002.jpg

Running wire and mounting the distro and DC-DC converter for the head unit (Clarion HX-D2).

UteInstall005.jpg

Too many pics for the first post!

Running wire and mounting the distro and DC-DC converter for the head unit (Clarion HX-D2).

UteInstall005.jpg

Due to the location of the head unit and its DC-DC converter, I had to lengthen the umbilical cable that runs between them.

UteInstall001.jpg

Mounting the amps.

UteInstall006.jpg

Lighting behind the amps.

InteriorLighting010.jpg

Temporary sub enclosures, I plan to build a fibreglass enclosure housing an Adire Audio Brahma, but until then Focal's 27V2's are serving duty. The enclosures are carpeted but I don't have any shots of them for some reason. The enclosures allow the seats to fully recline, and are around 25L each.

Subs007.jpg

I hope to get a couple of shots of the pillars installed in place, they still aren't finished but I wanted to move onto other parts of the install during winter. I've also got the head unit mounting coming up, and the sub enclosure, but that is a little while off yet.

• Like 2

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 28d

Mate these threads are always welcome, wish I had the guts to attempt something like that on a new car.

Look forward to seeing the end result.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 5d

Just is alot of work. Awesome job and looks very tidy and the amp/fuse block etc install is so neat as well. You don't do this for a living do ya.

Cheer's for the kind words guys, I'll try and get an interior night time shot of the pillars up over the weekend (I'll be away for a couple of days and ran out of time tonight).

@weiner - Nah mate its just a hobby. I just enjoy good car audio and can't afford to pay someone to do it for me.

Still got plenty of work to do...

Edited by Gonadman2