Abs , Brake , Traction Lights + No Speedo?

07ToxicF6

• Member For: 12y 7m 26d

ford had another look today, load of codes, some knok codes pointing to pcm, I hope its not a faulty pcm! Ford said there a miss comunication "in the circuit of things..." and said its costly to weed out...grrreat.

• Member For: 15y 11m 12d

ford had another look today, load of codes, some knok codes pointing to pcm, I hope its not a faulty pcm! Ford said there a miss comunication "in the circuit of things..." and said its costly to weed out...grrreat.

That is also the same info I've been told... faulty PCM and ECM (I think that's it). Mine also brings up loads of fault codes, even silly ones like the rear heater lines not working or the seat electrics being faulty. Mine also has a 'miss-communication' between the speed sensors and the ECU - have been told that because our cars run on a 'closed loop' wiring circuit, if a wire is cut or a plug left unplugged or even a bent pin, and it cant complete the loop, this will happen. But then you've gotta track down which wire/plug is doing it, cuz fault checking wont tell you!

Then to top it off, I've done the same as you, gone to ford and been told the same thing, costly to find (could come down to a re-wire of the car). Got my car booked in with my mechanic next Wednesday before it goes to Elite Auto and he's going to do one final check over it, make sure there is nothing amiss, check the ECU and the ABS stuff, check plugs etc etc.

Can I ask, did this just start happening for you? Or was it after some work was done? Or even a service?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 10d

I believe the speedo gets its reading from the rh rear sensor and abs uses all the sensors. As for tracking a broken wire or bent pin or cut in the system a continuity check would tell ya stuff (think its continuity) but will be very time consuming.

If you have the skills and wiring diagrams you can hook up a multimeter at end end of a circuit on each wire and see if one isnt talking, from there you would have to track along a problem wire at each join ((plug) that's if you find a issue) to find when it gets continuity again to tell you where the problem is located.

As I said very time consuming.

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 12y 9m 9d

have been told that because our cars run on a 'closed loop' wiring circuit, if a wire is cut or a plug left unplugged or even a bent pin, and it cant complete the loop, this will happen. But then you've gotta track down which wire/plug is doing it, cuz fault checking wont tell you!

This might be out of left field but could be worth a look, Do both of you have towbars fitted?

Reason I ask is I just discovered the dealer used Scotchlocks on my wiring loom to wire in the trailer plug, These things are notorious for creating a bad connection and even cutting the wires they are joined to

It is possible that the earth or brake light wire might be cut if yours has been done like mine, Longshot but cheap to look

Edited by Purnong

Nah no tow bar mate, but I have an aftermarket head unit installed. However, this was installed a long time ago and the problem has only just come up now!

• Member For: 12y 7m 26d

I cant belive no one else knows of our issue moose :( this is stressin me out, went for a drive last nite wen it was raining, as soon as it loses traction it goes nuts, I hope its a cheap fix..

Elite Auto found my problem - spark plugs weren't gapped out properly. They re-gapped them, went for a drive, problem fixed. First time they've seen it caused by this, normally its the coil-packs or the leads! They said its not normally an ABS issue.