Sway Bars

LazyBrennan

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 2d

Ok so can someone please explain to me how a bigger sway bar improves handling? I am looking at getting a white line 27mm sway bar for the front.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

A sway bar is there to assist the springs. In a way. What it does is transfer tension across the car. Basically compressing the inside spring to keep the car flatter in a turn.

So in theory it tries to keep the inside front wheel flatter on the ground.

Well that's my basic knowledge of it anywho. Probably wrong.

• Member For: 17y 10m 27d

they help to control body roll and move grip from 1 end of the car to the other, ie put a stiffer front sway bar on and you will get more rear corner grip at the risk of less front grip

• Banned
  • Banned
  • Member For: 13y 7m 11d

as the title says.....SWAY bar. or more info in the Uk version. ANTI-ROLL bar.

thicker bar will generally mean less body roll , keeping car flatter through bends. :buttrock:

• 4 months later...
  • Awesome...
  • Member For: 13y 9m 19d

If your going to replace the front sway bar, what bushes should you also replace? my car has done 52000ks

At the same time? It comes with the bushes you need to replace on the actual sway bar. But there is heaps of other bushes, but they aren't any easier to replace with the sway bar off.

To improve handling however, I would do the lower control arm bushes in a urethane bush (superpro), they are a soft hydraulic filled bush that are good for quietness, but not much else. It will make the car track better, and not 'wander' as much, it will also save the insides of your tyres under braking.

If you like to keep road noise down and have some comfort left, leave the other front end bushings as rubber.

The lower bushes are best done by a mechanic as they are a pain in the arse to do.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 7d

I did all the front bushes bar the strut bushes with superpro last weekend and I love how it is now. Minimal downside to huge improvement. Cost me $400 for all bushes and ball joints did the majority of the work myself and paid $100 to get some of the bushes pressed in. Probably one of the best bang for buck mods ive done and will not have to worry about them for quite a while. Also the reduced tyre wear will pay for them over time.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 3d

I have I have notices significant improved rear end grip with 27mm, especially in the wet, but have noticed a bit of under steer through some tight turns especially round abouts. IMO if you have under-steer you are going to hot into the corner. I might invest in some 22mm rears and see if there is some improvement to reduce under-steer.