Zf Fluid

Guest 1600dave

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 8d

Seems a bit too cheap to me - has that mechanic serviced one before?? As its not as simple as drop fluid, change filter, refill etc.

The plastic pan will cost close to that, then you need to allow for fluid and labour too!

If he has a metal pan then it is that simple, I watched as they did a flush aswell, was not a hard job at all and if you have a hoist it's even easier. The oil is the pricey part and only if its genuine.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 14d

If he has a metal pan then it is that simple, I watched as they did a flush aswell, was not a hard job at all and if you have a hoist it's even easier. The oil is the pricey part and only if its genuine.

True, but for a first service its going to need a good flush if changing to another fluid, so theres a 20l drum gone which is $150ish wholesale for Gulf Western (cheapest stuff I'm aware of)

Add on cost of filter, new gasket and labour...

Like I said, sounds too cheap not to ask a few questions.

Then again maybe they service the taxi's and buy in bulk so can do them cheap, who knows??

• Member For: 13y 14d

$190 for Oil and labour ! There is no way I would be taking my car there especially with a ZF box. And if he is changing the pan the oil would be dumped and need more then $190 worth of oil .......

Edited by helbz

• Member For: 16y 11m 11d

I got my BF ZF serviced by my local transmission shop recently. The owner tells me that you can now get aftermarket ZF oil which is the exact spec to the genuine stuff. The service cost me $470 approx including steel pan. Anyone else heard about this oil?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 14d

In regards to the Gulf Western Syntrans, I don't think its ZF approved as such, more so it meets the same specification as the ZF LifeGuard6 which they recommend for the 6HP26.

I doubt ZF will ever approve another manufacturers oil to go in their transmission, they'd make a mint off people being too scared to try anything else but genuine!!

I know it says on the drum "approved for use in the Ford 6 spd ZF transmission fitted to BF & FG Falcons" but that's just how I interpret it.

At Gulf Western will actually advertise it as being suitable, all other oil manufacturers list "refer to dealer/footnote" etc

• Colossal Member
  • Member For: 19y 8m

Checked with the Ultratune mechanic today, he was under the impression I had a 4 speed

p.s. isn't my status supposed to change from "inactive member" back to "Donating Member", which I was originally?

Edited by Paradoxx

• Member For: 13y 14d

In regards to the Gulf Western Syntrans, I don't think its ZF approved as such, more so it meets the same specification as the ZF LifeGuard6 which they recommend for the 6HP26.

I doubt ZF will ever approve another manufacturers oil to go in their transmission, they'd make a mint off people being too scared to try anything else but genuine!!

I know it says on the drum "approved for use in the Ford 6 spd ZF transmission fitted to BF & FG Falcons" but that's just how I interpret it.

At Gulf Western will actually advertise it as being suitable, all other oil manufacturers list "refer to dealer/footnote" etc

Gulf Western has actually paid big dollars in research to be able to have that sticker on their 20 litre drums and legally be able to say it is suited, That is why castrol had to remove the "suitable" for zf 6 speed on their product data sheet. This is what the Gulf Western rep said when I picked up my oil from them at their office at Penrith NSW I am just going off that.