Fpt & 6Boost Go 735 Plus Kw & Still Climbing

qik1

• Member For: 21y 26d

In this months Zoom No 170 there is a 1200hp 4cyl Honda engine that lists in its specs sheet as using 1/2" ARP head studs.

So are 14mm head studs an overkill and unnecessary??.

I think they are if you are only tightening them to 125ft/lb, certainly not if you are tightening them to 200ft/lb like a diesel engine. Just throwing the question out there. I put non-undercut 1/2" head studs in an e-series block and in my experimentation block I torqued one up with a long bar to see if I could break something but couldn't. Who knows what torque it was (probably 200ft/lb + my Warren and Brown only goes to 120ft/lb). Didnt bother the stud or nut, may have been block distortion issues or maybe none.

Nevertheless, with 1000hp relatively easy to make nowadays. Its good to see what different people are doing to hold the head down.

I wonder what Atomic are doing and what they torque their heads up to.

I am leaning at just 1/2" studs and 160+ ft/lb to keep the head down.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 14d

Thanks simon, its a labour of love and we're constantly learning what works and what doesnt. We've found the problem and the headgasket is just a casualty of war so to speak. We've sent the parts away to be inspected to see why what happened happened. Theres no major damage so wont be too long and we'll be back pushing it harder than ever, with much thanks to spiro at DLM for his help so far in rectifying and sourcing a solution

We'll be tryin a different headgasket while we're at it and looking further into the headbolts.

6Boost sources the tailshaft from brissy years ago for me, was through hardys I think???

The std tension is app 85 but generally with the apr stud you go up to 105 because the heads lift at.around 25-30psi depending. Our studs were at 120 because there the new tool steel studs. I wont report on what or why until we've had a good chance to work it out, but we're looking into every option and all will be considered

yeah a few at powerplay & cruise last year, just have to get it off the dyno & stop breaking 5hit & there will be plenty more

Awesome, when I know when im off I'll give ya a call. Might be a good excuse for a trip to willowbank

• Member For: 21y 26d

I work at Warren and Brown. Let me know if ya Torque wrenches need to be re calibrated. Just saying...

How much to get it checked. This one is 25 years old but well looked after. Never checked but you get a feel for the bolt tightness you want. As long as its consistent.

Can you get good pricing on a 200ft/lb torque wrench?