Fpt & 6Boost Go 735 Plus Kw & Still Climbing

qik1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 27d

Well can you answer why my heads lifting with a atomic built 698 long- engine and 12mm headstuds????? Mind you im only pushing 400rwkw 545rwhp, with a standard factory turbo and manifold.

that's odd we have done several cars with over 400rwkw on standard head bolts with the highest being 540 without lifting the head, standard head bolts torqued to factory specs

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 2d

Really? 540rwkw on standard head studs and it didn't push and water?? Do you remember how much torque it was making possum?

Found with mine, it always happened during peak torque and boost.. Lifting heads is not so much about total boost levels, torque has a lot to do with it.. You can tune around this, I know many tuners have said by decreasing the timing but increasing the boost you can make good power without lifting heads.. But then you just end up with a dyno queen car with no torque..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 27d

not sure on torque figures unfortunately but do know the engine was making that power on E85 for 30-40000k's, only when we pulled the motor out again did we put standard replacement ARP head studs in.

• Like 1

• Member For: 21y 19d

Maybe try a different brand gasket. Permaseal have a MLS and I think it comprises of many more layers than what the Ford Gasket does. Maybe the way Permaseal have constructed it may make the difference. It is a much thicker gasket but may have more flexibility in keeping a seal.

I have torqued 12.5mm head studs to their max breaking limits nearly distorting head nuts and my feeling is that 14mm head bolts aint going to make much different if you are just sticking to around 100ft/lb on the studs. Whether 12mm non wasted studs or 14mm non wasted studs, its still alot of bolt to keep a head down.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Cheers mate,

I had been using the standard gaskets, I will be trying a MLS this time round.. Might even try this with the 12mm studs to see how it goes first, rather than pulling the whole motor out to go 14mm...

I know John is using some new "top secret" gasket... Going to have to take to the pub to get him pissed so I can find out exactly what is... Lol

• Like 1

• Donating Members

I know it can be done with 12mm, 6BOOST/FPT have done a few cars with 1000whp.. Typoon_freak made 1080whp 39psi with 12mm studs, but his torque curve was pretty soft.. I am happy with 800whp, just want the bloody head to stay on! However, we might have to soften the tune a little, last run we did torque hit 1200nm 3000rpm when the head lifted...

Sorry for hijacking your thread John, the last thing you want to read about is head lifting issues especially when you've got a brand new motor... smile3.gif

John, pics like you promised......

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 25d

402rwkw with the head lifting has got me stumped then if you guys can make alot more power on 12mm headstuds. Awaiting Brads response to the email I sent today.