Relocate Battery To Passengers Side

maccanz

• Member For: 13y 10m 6d

Try giving them a call mate, some mechanical workshops are still old fashioned and the phone works best.

Yeah, I'm in NZ so it's a lot cheaper the email way - but good point.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 13y 3m 2d

Here we go

I spent weeks working out what was best for me and ended up putting it in the boot. If I had seen this thread I may have gone this way. I have had no problems whatsoever though. I stuck it in a supercheap box and took power to the starter motor with a massive cable and ran a short earth cable to the body (when I say "I" I mean a auto sparkie).

You'll notice in my sig I still have enough space for it.

Doesn't look like I have permission to edit my previous post...

Yes, I spent some time studying that thread although he didn't go into any detail about the battery relocation part.

So when you put yours in the boot you didn't run a cable to the terminal at the main relay / fuse area behind where the battery was? Just one to the starter and then earth?

• Member For: 13y 3m 2d

That's correct. The starter motor cable continues up to the relay box to supply all the relatively lower amperage power. There is only a single HEAVY cable running forward from the boot. You may have to cut/remove the old unused positive battery cable so it doesn't short. I have heard stories of hydrogen gas being created in the boot but I don't really buy into it becoming dangerous because the alternator supplies power to the car most of the time so the hydrogen created from charging will be minimal and it's a big boot.

• 1 month later...

All done.

I purchased a battery tray from Supacheap, bent the taps slighty to match the angle of the wheel arch then bolted it through with a 50mm spacer block underneath. I cut the stock positive terminal off and crimped on a crimp style battery terminal sliding my extension cable in as well. Tidied up the 3 way connection with a black abs box from Dick Smith. On the earth I just used one of the bolts left over from removing the stock airbox.

Car cranks the same as before with no noticeable reduction in speed. I also dropped the battery into the stock black cover so it all looks almost stock.

All up cost about $200

Next I will make my cold air box for the pod filer.

post-40865-0-51430800-1309589511_thumb.j

post-40865-0-56126900-1309589949_thumb.j

post-40865-0-86694700-1309589968_thumb.j

post-40865-0-90352700-1309589990_thumb.j

post-40865-0-47720000-1309590012_thumb.j

Edited by maccanz