Ba Ute Hardlid - Hinge Mounting

h20boynz

• Member For: 13y 3m 10d

Hey Folks!

I just bought a second hand lid for my BA ute, which came with the struts, locking plates at the rear and two L shaped hinges/mounting plates at the front.

This L shaped mount just has a slot in it, into which the male portion afixed to the lid slides into.

Does anyone have a photo of how they have theirs mounted/bolted/riveted. I'd like to see one before I begin drilling holes in my baby!.

Cheers

Adam

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

My old ute had a factory fitted hardcover, The "female" bracket thats mounted to the body just had 4 self tapping screws retaining it (the same as the screws supplied to fit the latch brackets.) they had a small piece of adhesive foam under them to seal against the tub.

Ring you local dealer, they should be able to give you the Instruction booklet to fit the cover. This has the dimension for the bracket mounting locations

Thanks for that...I rang my local Ford dealer and they don't fit them, they get who-ever paints them to fit them. They did say that they usually have a fitting instruction sheet...but they don;t have one available :)

So, if anyone has a picture of the front hinges, and a dimensions from say the back window to the centre point of where the struts attach it would be hugely appreciated!

cheers

Adam

Edited by hiddeous
Quote Removed, use Add Reply or Fast Reply

• Member For: 15y 5m 19d

Hi. hinge mounting is easy. first off check that lid sits ok on top of tub then pull back on lid so that you can hang hinges on the tongue on front of lid and push back in to place, when square and in the right position lift the back and open tailgate and close lid and check position again then crawl in and fit 1 or 2 screws and again check the fit and if all is good fit remaining screws. Next work out the closed length of the rams and with the lid closed measure back from the mounts on the lid then add 25 to 25 mm and mount the ram to the side as high as possible. this way as you close the lid it pushes the lid into the hinge slots. cheers MD

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

"Next work out the closed length of the rams and with the lid closed measure back from the mounts on the lid then add 25 to 25 mm and mount the ram to the side as high as possible. this way as you close the lid it pushes the lid into the hinge slots. cheers MD"

Excellent advise, I did exactly that with my BA ute. The hard cover used to flop around to the point that it had started to scruff the fibreglass underside and plastic tub liner and there where polish marks on the hinges! It used to drive me nuts as the front RH corner used to flap at highway speed and you could see it in the side mirror!

Thanks guys..great advice.

What I would like to know is how the hinge is mounted to the ute...that's why I keep asking for a photo :)

The guy I bought it off said his was riveted...but the hole size on the hinge would make them bloody big rivets.

• Like 1