Fg Sub "fix"

RHR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 13y 1m 1d

I will definetly have to give this a crack as I have replaced factory sub with clarion free air sub (marine) in my opinion made no real diffrence I do however think there is enough room to possibly stick a 10"in place of 8" sub with a bit of tweeking of the mount, but it was prob about a year ago when I actually changed it so my recollection of how it looked (setup) could be off a little.

• Member For: 13y 1m 1d

Straight after reading post went out swapped wires around and in my opinnion makes a hugh difference. I normally have bass in equalizer (treb/mid/bass) on prob 2 clicks on positive side of middle line and if volume is up prob 25 that's the limit before it starts distorting. after swapping turned bass up at almost on max on equalizer and volume prob 28 before it wants to start distorting. :VB Beer:

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 11d

Many high end A/M H/U's offer this as a setting option within the config menu.

It 'will' typically have 'some' effect, however if this is the only 'wire' being changed and no other settings or tone controls adjusted, it typically is a small change in what you will hear. Turning the bass control up will also carry further and greater effect on the system, as well as that of the wire change should both things be done.

Having said that - 1. I dont have a FG, rather had a BFII. 2. Dont own the BFII anymore either. 3. Cant test to advise based on both points 1 + 2. Lol...

Anyways:

"Phase control

Changing the relative phase of the subwoofer with respect to the woofers in other speakers may or may not help to minimize unwanted destructive acoustic interference in the frequency region covered by both subwoofer and main speakers. It may not help at all frequencies, and may create further problems with frequency response, but is even so generally provided as an adjustment for subwoofer amplifiers.[22] Phase control circuits may be a simple polarity reversal switch or a more complex continuously variable circuits.

Continuously variable phase control circuits are common in subwoofer amplifiers, and may be found in crossovers and as do-it-yourself electronics projects. Phase controls allow the listener to change the arrival time of the subwoofer sound waves relative to the same frequencies from the main speakers (I.e., at and around the crossover point to the subwoofer). A similar effect can be achieved with the delay control on many home theater receivers. The subwoofer phase control found on many subwoofer amplifiers is actually a polarity inversion switch.[28] It allows users to reverse the polarity of the subwoofer relative to the audio signal it is being given. This type of control allows the subwoofer to either be in phase with the source signal, or 180 degrees out of phase.

The subwoofer phase can still be changed by moving the subwoofer closer to or further from the listening position, however this may not be always practical."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 10m 12d

Just performed the fix on my G6E. Such a difference! The 3 white clips were easy to pull off the rear trim in the boot exposing the sub. On the plug there's another little clip that you need to remove before you can get the wires to come loose.

Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 6m 10d

Finally got around to doing this today, was starting to doubt whether it'd be worthwhile given some of the comments I've read, but I've gotta say, holy hell does this improve the system. There must have been a manufacturing error at play here, I've read about subs pushing or pulling, but the other thing to think about here is destructive interference. Given that the sub in the FG (not sure about other models) is pumping straight into the cabin, if it was out of phase with the rears then it would definitely cause destructive wave patterns and so can cause major quality issues. Once I had two 6x9's in a parcel shelf wired out of phase with each other by accident, it took about 5 seconds to realise something was up.

So yep, another happy FG premium sound owner — this really does make a very obvious difference (especially when listening to Leftfield ;))

• Member For: 14y 1m

Just did this aswell, made a big difference, now sounds how it should being a 'Premium' system. Cheers guys, this was one thing that bothered me about the car.