Manual Or Auto? In The Fg Xrt

Mike_800

• Member For: 13y 7d

I have been looking in the market for an fg xr6 turbo

But I am stuck between a decision on wether to buy an auto or manual

My current car is an automatic and am craving some manual control.

I wanted to ask a couple of questions about the fg manuals and autos

1. do the manual fg xrt drivers get tierd of changing gears, and how smooth are the gear changes?

2. do the auto fg xrt drivers get bored of the auto?

3. does the fg turbo in the auto or man make as nice of a sound as the bf models?

• Member For: 14y 8m 13d

I think its more about personal choice as both boxes are good, iam and most likely will be a manual man for a long time I have had my T manual for 2 years and not 1 day has passed were I regret my choice I absolutely love my manual. I have driven the zf auto and well its a great box but at the end of the day I would get bored with it but everyone is different. although if you do decide to get a manual after the box is run in get rid of the sh*t oil in it and put something aftermarket in it as it makes the box shift soooo much smoother. I have used (PENRITE MANUAL GEAR OIL 70) for the past year and a half with nothing but great results

• Member For: 20y 7m 23d

As said above it's really personal prefernce as both boxes are great and have their own advantages. I'd suggest test driving both and deciding from what you feel is best for what you want to use the car for and where it's going to be driven mostly.

Myself I prefer the auto as I can drive it as a manual or leave it in D for heavier traffic. I was a manual man only before having a ZF but now I've experinced such a good auto I'm converted. The auto shifts great and is much easier to keep traction between gears when making bigger power. As for noise in my opinion the FG auto makes a nice "Brrrp" noise when shifting which is good.

Benny

• Member For: 13y 8m 9d

Manual gearbox in my opinion is definately the way to go. Offers geater driver control in all conditions. However, due to the nature of a turbo engine the auto does provide superior speed straight line. Further, due to the FG's differing (from BA, BF)power delivery (and launch control function) I believe that there are greater benefits in manual form. FG also has a better gearbox(Tremec TR6060) than previous models. That said buy what you want, I drove both and found that the manual was far more entertaining and engaging. Cheers

• Like 1

• Member For: 19y 8m 9d

Auto for quicker times, manual for more power on a dyno auto for ease of driving, esp in city traffic, manual for more driving involvement.

I sometimes wish I got the auto in my FG, esp driving on the Princes hway to and from work everyday and having a buggered knee that gets sore after a while from the clutch pedal but the gearbox is great and smooth and the car provides a lot of entertainment when driven with spirit.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Well the pro's of a manual is being able to hold a gear to the red line. Keeping the same gear through a set of sweepers. And sweetly timing the blip of the throttle on down changes.

The con's are having to hold the clutch in traffic. A little harder to left foot brake with the long throw clutch. And a little more pronounced drive line shunt.

The big pro of the ZF is being able to put it in D and cruise through traffic. In Performance mode blipping the throttle on down changes can be just as rewarding. It will hold a gear to the rev limiter. It's supposedly as if not more economical. Unlike most auto'sit's great for towing. It makes left foot braking a breeze. Don't need launch control. It matches the personality of the Turbo perfectly.

The con's are it is slow sometimes to change. It takes a little to know your driving style. It's dearer to service. It's a bit suss with around 400rwkw. And it will overheat after a few hundred laps around Bathurst.

Edited by XR09

• Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9d

lmao XR09, good call.

I prefer manual and the clutch feel in my bf2 compared to the fg, although the FG has a tighter feeling throw.

I tested the ZF and the way it held gears sh*ts me. I prefer an auto that can be tuned and shifts hard through every gear, nothing like letting out a big chirp while just cruising.

What do you want from it? Sporty driving or you enjoy just cruising? Driving an auto in D would be to boring for me...