What's The Better Car To Buy 05 Sti Or Fg Xrt

Mike_800

• Member For: 13y 1m 2d

Well do u want a 6 year old STi? Can you get FG T's for around 25K already??

1. 1/4 mile time- As others have said FGT's have gone very quick down the 1/4..

2. building potential- If you've done your research, than u will know that T's are probably the best bang for buck out there.. But u said in another post u wanna keep it stock??

3. or any other cars that I could by with 25 grand.- I'd be buying a BF2 6sp auto, with at least a tune..

Thanks champ

I want to keep it stock for a year, and then do some mods

but I defs don't want an auto

I have looked on carsales and on other websites 08 fg's from 25-27k

or I was thinking about a buying a bf for about 20 and smashing a couple of grand into that

I was going to by a typhoon bf until I read this

wikipedia

leBarra 270T FGThe figures for the revised turbo engine for the FG XR6 Turbo mimics the old FPV turbo I6, however this is an incorrect assumption and the motors are not the same. Firstly there is a redesigned low profile intake plenum, as opposed to the circa 1994 Broadband Manifold intake which originated in the EF Falcon. The engine employs a new turbocharger and intercooler in conjunction with the Barra 195s updates. The result is that the FG XR6 Turbo is actually faster than both FPV's BF Typhoon and the FG XR8. The FG XR6 Turbo uses a smaller turbo than the BA/BF XR6 Turbo so it can spool faster, make more usable power, and make less noise than the larger turbo. This engine also features a 53Nm overboost feature. The feature can engage depending on the driving style and when the accelerator pedal is fully pressed on to the floor can call the computer to overboost and add an additional 53Nm on top of the 533Nm making it a total of 586Nm of torque.

Power: 270 kW (362 hp) @ 5250 rpm

Torque: 533 N·m (393 lb·ft) @ 2000-4750 rpm

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 13y 8m 27d

The Phoon is so damn sexy though, plus you will lose more in resale on the fg compared to a FPV. Phoon also has better suspension ( you wanted handling). Drive both, then drive both (modded).

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 2m 17d

Drivability is really the key here. If its a daily driver then the Falcon will be much more comfortable to drive everyday with effortless power, suspension that doesn't demand a kidney belt and reasonable fuel consumption. The ability to mod is fantastic and insurance isn't rediculous.

If you go for the STi then you have a different animal all over, drivability is still good around town, but because the car has short ratio's - so highway cruising is sacrificed - the car has little torque below 3000rpm in a higher gear. The suspension is quite firm - and that is fantastic for handling, but doesn't suit crappy australian roads.

It really comes down to what your real priorities are after you've taken out the "Enthusiast" ones...

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 13d

Mate some of the BF 'cling ons' always bag FG's - turbo is too small, look soft, blah, blah. Basically, they can't afford an upgrade so love hanging :pooh: on them. They are superior to drive - period. However, If you want a 1/4 mile slayer or a dyno princess then yes, buy a BF. This is simply because they're relatively cheap to buy and more go fast bits around. As for going manual - factor in a clutch change as the standard ones are sh*t and the gearbox is a clunky f*cker too. Don't believe me? Read all the threads about them - it's endless. As for the subbie, my mate had one of the two door STI's and it was a cracker. The wife's got an XT Forester which we've had for 5 years and it's still a great car. As most have said, you need to decide what you really want mate.

• Member For: 13y 9m 4d

Mate some of the BF 'cling ons' always bag FG's - turbo is too small, look soft, blah, blah. Basically, they can't afford an upgrade so love hanging :pooh: on them. They are superior to drive - period. However, If you want a 1/4 mile slayer or a dyno princess then yes, buy a BF. This is simply because they're relatively cheap to buy and more go fast bits around. As for going manual - factor in a clutch change as the standard ones are sh*t and the gearbox is a clunky f*cker too. Don't believe me? Read all the threads about them - it's endless. As for the subbie, my mate had one of the two door STI's and it was a cracker. The wife's got an XT Forester which we've had for 5 years and it's still a great car. As most have said, you need to decide what you really want mate.

I do take a little offence at your BF cling on statement (As unopened propersition stronger than FG,(pistons)( I bought my car based on superior durability and potential performance. I feel that the BFII is a superior machine runs 40% less boost with what is a turbo with much more potential (superior wheel size). The BFII motor also has stronger pistons. My way of thinking is that down the track the BF2will be more attractive .Further the plastic intakes and end tanks of the Fg will impact reduce overall collectability. I understand that I am going to induce some debate but logic does become the overriding influence in time. This I do understand. But hey regardless of your choice it is a good one. We all are all winners

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 29d

secret.gifThere the same rods/pistons as the FG... And they run more boost to make 25kw more power, that's sorta how turbo'd engines work. And the fact that a stock FG with plastic end tanks becoming a collectible is laughable. Any FG becoming a collectible is mildly amusing...

And I could of bought a 56k 07 BF F6 for 33k or a 54k 10 FG for 41k, so yeah they drop in value like the rest. The only reason you would buy a BF over an FG is if you didn't test drive an FG.

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 29d

And if it costs me 2.5k to put a T04 (better then a BF turbo) on my can that is a small price to pay for no brake shudder, dodgy front end, extremely dated interior..etc..etc.. not to mention the FG Fart ( Epicly tuff buttrock.gif)