Massive Fuel Tank Leak

• Member For: 19y 3m 27d

For the last couple of weeks I've been getting a fuel smell when the tank has been over about 3/4 full, yesterday I filled up and literally saw a stream of fuel leaking out from under the car. I assumed it was probably coming from the filler tube or something, but when I got home and checked it out it was coming from somewhere else right up the top of the tank. I assume from a breather or something?

It's a BFII sedan.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem? How much was it to fix? Did you need a new tank, ect.

Also I had a look in the service manual and it looks like you need to pull out the IRS cradle to pull the tank out. Is it possible to pull out without doing that?

• 4 years later...
  • ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

Remove the rear seat base

The cradel/fuel module is housed there

Its screwed down on b series and ring locked on fg

If the car has had an aftermarket fuel pump installed the rubber o ring can and has been not seated correctly it will leak once the fuel tank is over that 3/4 mark full

Also lots of small rocks and debris gets up there and can sit under the o ring causing a less than perfect seal

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 25d

I had the same problem as OP. Only pissed fuel out once at a servo, but I'd been smelling fuel for years if it was over half full and I threw it around. Lifted seat at the servo incident and all dry on top of the pump cover. Took it in to a mechanic and they found another plastic seam on top, where Ford install the fuel sender or whatever, was cracked. New fuel tank fixed it. I might have pics somewhere, I'll try to find them tonight.

PS big job, rear came out.

Edited by -Stever-

• Member For: 9y 1m 3d

iv checked both the fuel pump cradle o-ring and where the fuel filler neck goes in and there both dry , 100% its coming from above the diff somewhere right at the top as it only leaks when its full to the top

• Donating Members

Yep, same as mine. Was dry in those spots, but pissed out from further along where you can't see. Ran down all over the rear from up on the very top.

Forgot to look for pics last night :P

But yeah, get a new fuel tank put in. Mine was from a wreckers. Fuel smell is gone 100% now, certainly no big spills.

• Member For: 9y 1m 3d

yep , all fixed now , got another second hand tank as ford wanted $1400 for a new one , ill take pics of where mine was leaking from , it was a grommet/plug right at the top where the breather goes back into had split the adhesive around it

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Found my pics, let's compare!

You can see the hole where the fuel pump drops in, down on the lower level (note don't try opening this with a full tank hahaha). Filler neck is the white pipe out the right side there.

Xk4P8qN.jpg

m0MZH9S.jpg

The spot mine was leaking from

QYb4n9G.jpg

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 27d

Remove the rear seat base

The cradel/fuel module is housed there

Its screwed down on b series and ring locked on fg

If the car has had an aftermarket fuel pump installed the rubber o ring can and has been not seated correctly it will leak once the fuel tank is over that 3/4 mark full

Also lots of small rocks and debris gets up there and can sit under the o ring causing a less than perfect seal

Not all b series are screwed down some BF2's have a FG tank from factory you should no that bud