Btr 4Speed To Zf 6 Speed Conversion

maso13

• Member For: 13y 1m 17d

gday guys

want to make my 04 mk2 ba turbo ute reliable as it is a daily driver , after posting a few topics on this site I have discovered the 4 speed auto will not last once my ute it re tuned to its full potental hopefully around 350kw @ treads , so my question is who has done the zf conversion , whats involved and $$$ to complete the conversion.

cheers maso

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 9m 25d

Well theres no reason why a built 4 speed will not last on 350rwkw, mines still going after 3 years, and as for 6 speed auto, it is a expensive and fiddly conversion.

There also will not be any guarantee that the 6 speed will outlast that power figure, I know of a few that have played up on that power figure, there not indestructible as a majority of people seem to think.

The choice is yours which way you want to go, im just giving my personal experience.

• Member For: 13y 1m 17d

xr6t_ute what have you done to your 4 speed ??

im going to see how long I can get out of it, I will be changing the gearbox oil every 3k with the motor , what would do less harm to the box driving in performance or manual shifting when having a squirt?

• Donating Members

1st thing before anything is a transcooler.....heat is one of the major contributors to killing autos

Theres only so much that can be done to these boxes but every little thing helps.... valve body mods, au planeteries and pump assy etc , but how you drive it I would say, helps in longevity also, some owners full throttle 4th gear which is a very big no no, also I change manually , I go through the gears like you would a manual, so 1st gear I take it to 2800-3000 same for 2nd and third, and for 4th I dont engage that until im doing a minimum of 80.

Ive got a 2800 convertor in mine, so that's why I do it, if I dont then your just slipping through the gears and creating alot more heat in the trans.

ps you dont have to change the oil every 3k, I service mine 2-3 times a yr, I do about 25-30000kms a yr in mine.

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY

• Banned
  • Member For: 14y 9m 2d

alloy trans pan is the secret ingredient that will give the box more life I believe. Also if you dont go a histall convertor, your btr will also last longer possibly.

Else just go a c4/c10 auto

• Donating Members

My pans std and going for 3 yrs now how would explain that?

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY