Is 120,000Km's Too Many?

Mitchtj

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 11m 7d

Yes and it depends on the level of tune. Those that think they can extract 300+rwkw reliably out of a BA with 130k on board before tune are in denial.

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

That would be a nice level of tune to have (300+ rwkw) but I was kind of thinking around the 250-270 rwkw mark.

Edited by RHR

• Donating Members

It really does depend on how well she's been maintained mate. The BA engine had a major problem with rods however. They were basically the same design from the original I6 from the 60's! They bent horribly and often leading to a factory upgrade. I don't know at what point they throw in the towel. That together with valve springs that will now have weaker and possibly uneven seat pressures are things that may give up the ghost if ya push it hard. Again, I'm not saying don't do it just making you aware of potential problems so you can make an informed decision which is what the forum is all about.

Cheers, Bomber.

Edited by RHR

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 20d

Thanks mate, I appreciate people being honest like this. I had put a valve spring upgrade high on my list, along with external trans cooler... Now I have a few other things to consider. I am planning on talking to someone at a tune house to see where to go from here. Who should I talk to? Any suggestions from other victorians where their cars have been tuned? I'm in the country but prepared to drive to melbourne

Edited by RHR

• Donating Members

You've got seemingly endless choices in Melbourne mate. Ratter (Pit Lane) has a good reputation as do Nizpro of course. Seems the problem of late is geting in - they're all booked out!

Edited by RHR

• Member For: 15y 3m 16d

So a car with 130k has equal wear to one with 10k and I tell bullsh*t? Not to mention it's a BA so will have the piss weak rods as well. If your'e happy to tell young blokes to pump a heap of boost through an old motor and expect no problems then that's fine mate.

I think you only read the first line of my post.. as I pointed out, YES, a car with more kilometers will have more wear, but that's why you get it CHECKED before you buy it and/or go to tune it. If you do the same modifications to the EXACT same car (same model, both BA), and one has 130k, and the other has 10k.. it's a toss up of which will blow up first, if both have been maintained the same way..

No disrespect.. I'm a young one too and have only had little experience in the modification scene, but at the same time, I don't think kilometers will really factor in the car suffering any less than one with less kilometers that hasn't been maintained correctly.. *shrugs*

bomber, you know your stuff though.. I've spoken to you within a few other forums, so again mate, no disrespect, I was just stating what I thought was correct.

• 2 weeks later...