Is 120,000Km's Too Many?

Mitchtj

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 12d

worried about fuel economy? go buy a hyundai. oh, I forgot, you want power too? go buy a vt executive with a big spoiler kit. they fly mate..... noob.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 1m 28d

Just been reading thru this topic and I am starting to wonder if I should modify my car at all now.

I have a 03 BA XR6t with 132,000 k's on it. Came with full service history and is completely stock. I assume it has been like this all along. I am not chasing huge power out of it. I am just asking for trouble by getting it tuned?

• ride the lightning
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 17d

my best mate has a ba series 1 xr6t auto grey 20 inch wheels 80 000km leather premium sound I think he is asking 16k if your interested pm me and I will send you pics car is in nsw

• Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 10m 17d

Just been reading thru this topic and I am starting to wonder if I should modify my car at all now.

I have a 03 BA XR6t with 132,000 k's on it. Came with full service history and is completely stock. I assume it has been like this all along. I am not chasing huge power out of it. I am just asking for trouble by getting it tuned?

:roflmbo: no hang on, :roflmbo: . Mate, think of it like that 250kg dude from the biggest loser doing a 42k marathon - never gunna finish! Don't do it unless ya want bits everywhere and don't mind building a new engine.

Edited by bomber

• Member For: 15y 2m 26d

my best mate has a ba series 1 xr6t auto grey 20 inch wheels 80 000km leather premium sound I think he is asking 16k if your interested pm me and I will send you pics car is in nsw

I think that's in the good buy region.. if you can cough up another $1k OP, ask nathen for more details on his mates car.

@bomber - It's funny, some people say not to modify your car until at least a few thousand kilometers to see if there's anything wrong with the car from manufacture and to get it fixed.. others wait until the end of the warranty period. This is, in fact, a forum where half, if not more of the people, have modified cars, and you're concerned at 130k that bits will be flying off? Bits can be flying off at 10,000kay's, or even less..

Don't scare people off with bullsh*t saying that their 130k car has any better of a chance blowing up then someone with only 10k on the odometer. Yes, I understand at that point of time in the car's life, there's most likely a lot of wear and tear in the engine bay - but nothing a service & check from a performance house can't fix.. And a good idea is to do this BEFORE you buy the car.. If there's major issues, then don't buy the car. If there's minor things that they can fix (or little damage at all), go for the clouds and tune away..

*shrugs* Just my two cents :)

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 9d

Quite the opposite. Your car will run more smoothly and probably have less problems if it's custom tuned. It's the physical modifications that can cause problems if not done right.

• Member For: 13y 1m 4d

Yep, and the diff bush is one of the easier ones to fix. I've had heaps of cars and it doesn't mater who makes 'em but post 100k, you're on the downhill slide. It's mainly ancillaries that start to fail. Things like alternators, power steer pumps, starter motors, etc. Then stupid sh*t like ECU problems, power windows/mirrors and the like. Not expensive on their own but reliability starts to suffer. Here we're talking about a high performance vehicle making it even worse.

As others have said, just try and get the lowest k best looked after car you can find. Even then, she's a lucky dip. Good luck.

Saying this.. dont you think all cars are simiular.. I have 03 ba and I seem to be seeing smal small rust spots hanging around.. are cr6s meant to be this dodgy?

• Donating Members

I think that's in the good buy region.. if you can cough up another $1k OP, ask nathen for more details on his mates car.

@bomber - It's funny, some people say not to modify your car until at least a few thousand kilometers to see if there's anything wrong with the car from manufacture and to get it fixed.. others wait until the end of the warranty period. This is, in fact, a forum where half, if not more of the people, have modified cars, and you're concerned at 130k that bits will be flying off? Bits can be flying off at 10,000kay's, or even less..

Don't scare people off with bullsh*t saying that their 130k car has any better of a chance blowing up then someone with only 10k on the odometer. Yes, I understand at that point of time in the car's life, there's most likely a lot of wear and tear in the engine bay - but nothing a service & check from a performance house can't fix.. And a good idea is to do this BEFORE you buy the car.. If there's major issues, then don't buy the car. If there's minor things that they can fix (or little damage at all), go for the clouds and tune away..

*shrugs* Just my two cents :)

So a car with 130k has equal wear to one with 10k and I tell bullsh*t? Not to mention it's a BA so will have the piss weak rods as well. If your'e happy to tell young blokes to pump a heap of boost through an old motor and expect no problems then that's fine mate.

• Donating Members

My intention is not to discourage or 'scare' people off modifying but I have learn't some some hard lessons as I'm sure a lot have going down this path with older engines. Just trying to convey the pitfalls - that's all.

Edited by bomber