Who Like`s Tools? (Merged Topic)

gassit

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 27d

yes and no to that comment, I rely on my tools day in day out, cant afford the down time from a broken tool, also cant afford an injury to my self if a cheeper tool lets go when tightening or loosening something

• No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 1m 14d

When I was a mechanic all my gear was Sidchrome or snap-on, but since I got out of the trade, I generally get supertool brand as it is good enough for the infrequent use I give them.

My friends call my workshop Bunnings as it is full of everything from bunnings. I buy about $5k per year from there as I get heaps of points on my credit cards and Bunnings gift vouchers are the best value :buttrock:

I love collecting tools, there is not much I do not have for the home handyman/mechanic

• Member For: 14y 7m 21d

I once went to look/buy an old HZ Panelvan up bush at a secluded caravan park where the owner and his father lived, the bloke was in his thirties skinny as a rake with dirty long brown hair a scruffy beard and looked like he hadnt had a shower in the last decade. This guy was definitely two sides short of a shed and spoke really drawn out and quiet like, I mean I'm not the brightest bloke in the world but he was on a whole nother level. Anyway we proceeded to take the van for a test drive and being an old HZ V8 Panelvan I could hardly hear the guy when going through the usual small talk as you do when locked in a car with a stranger and the subject of what we did for work came up at this point I said I was a Toolmaker, he looked across at me with this huge rotten toothless grin and said in the loudest tone I'd heard him utter "I loooiik tooools". I swear I nearly ran off the road trying to contain the laugh I was styfling...

My toolbox contains...

3 surface grinders

2 cylindrical grinders

1 Cad Wirecutter

1 ANCA tool grinder

6 flat bed lathes

1 Horizontal mill

1 Vertical mill

1 MNC mill

6 CNC Lathes

25 6 spindle Gridley's

2 8 spindle Gridleys's

7 single spindle Wickman's

...etc etc. :blush:

God u have some gear there mate

How many people do u have working for u?

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

If anyone here is looking for a good Toolchest then I can't recommend more highly one of these. I bought one and it's awesome and much cheaper than all the local retailers.

http://www.maximtoolboxes.com.au/tool_boxes.htm

Can be found on ebay.

I like tools as well.

Benny.

• Member For: 16y 4m 28d

Being a panel beater I have only really have a select few tools that get used all the time, things like hammers, dollys, files, couple of sockets and ratchets, and a set of ratchet spanners.

Luckly for me my old man is the Rep for Kincrome tools up here in Nth Qld so if I need something I just put my order in and get it at a good price.

Most of my gear is Kincrome including my roller cab and top toolbox but things like the ratchet spanners and ratchets are snap-on.

I havent got a any photos at the moment but I painted my toolbox in citric acid to match the car, came up pretty good and even got some turbo badges for it for the wank factor :buttrock:

• Bored Member
  • Administrator
  • Member For: 21y 4m 14d

God u have some gear there mate

How many people do u have working for u?

Nah not mine...as tab said I was being a Tool :innocent: , it's all the machinery we have in the factory at work which is not mine.

I dont need a tool trolley, being an arvo shift super I just have the keys to all the other blokes trolleys and take and replace what I need. The only tools I carry for myself are Mic's, Verniers, Diamond Files, Slip Stones, a pen and the ones that get used the most by me now days a keyboard and mouse....

Anyone want a drill?....

MgpUA.jpg

CV1Lp.jpg

...endmill, slotdrill, tap, recess tool.

• Member For: 13y 5m 7d

My main tools at work are a 28 volt rattle gun, 15/16 and inch deep sockets for sand pipe repairs plus I use the same rattlegun and a 7/16 socket for hose clamps when they either burst or the end comes off. People look at me strange using something so brutal but it focuses the power where its needed, you try using a ratchet and you`ll break the clamp everytime. Picture yourself hosing with a 2 inch hose with ooh, 40 psi? and the end comes away. Think fast..

Then I can use anything I can find or procure, the plant must run.

I wanna see that citric acid toolbox..

Edited by _John_

• loitering with intent
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 9d

I have to pay proper men to man the tools, everything else is in Buf's "useful box"

which contains all manner of odds and sods including a shifter and a BBH ( bloody big hammer):blush:

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 5m 2d

I love tools, I'm a fitter and don't understand how some of the fitters I work with have sweet FA tools, I paid $500 to freight my box to work so I made sure it was fairly well stocked. Ratchet ringy's have to be the best invention ever, Next time I'm home I'll be getting some more bluepoint ones. Most of my gear is JBS which do pretty good sockets and spanners but some of my favourite tools are the homemade special purpose tools.

It's great to watch some fool busting their guts for 20 minutes, then when they are totally rooted walk up to them some bent up bit of steel and finish the job in 2 minutes.