Towing Interstate With My Fg Xr50 Turbo – Beware Super Long Post

SmokinXR6

• Member For: 10y 5m 20d

Hi All,

This post is awesome!

I have been towing a 1400kg pop top van + 3 kids and all the stuff in the boot - with a VE Late model camira 3 litre, power brakes and hayman reece distribution hitch.....its really stable and handles fine, but gee, the little 3litre struggles at times.

So now that lease is over - I have opportunity to get something more suitable.

With 95% of my driving regular day to day - I simply dont want a 4x4 diesel......so it was reaally a toss up between the falcon, territory or the SV6.

Happy to say - I have put in an order for a new Mars Red FG XR6 turbo auto......I knew power would be fine, but I was concerned about ride height, bottoming out, tyre wear.....

After reading above - I am actually feeling much relieved that I have made the tight choice!

Other than weight distribution hitch, power brakes, regular alignments....any other pearls of wisdom to make my towing more joyous?

Only a week till delivery....woo hoo.....big thanks!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Whilst researching a different topic - 'running in' - I also found some relevant info regarding towing ....so have cut and paste ......see below.

Ta,

Steve

Engine Forum - Running In

Hi All,

Thanks for posting my query into the correct thread - its been an interesting 9 pages of posts - much appreciated. I read all 9 pages, and even followed the link to MotoMan and read through his site (as reccomended).

Well - I now have my hands on my brand new FG II XR6T - and gee its awesome!

Importantly - I read the owners manual, and thought I might share with you what Ford reccommends regarding Running In.......and I think they actually give pretty sound advice.

My humble opinion - Ford advice is similar to what many posters reccomend. I paraphrase the Ford reccomendations as follows....

• Don't flog it stupid
  • But Do - take it through its paces - driving at various speeds,
  • Dont labour the engine
  • Dont let it idle for excessive periods
  • (towing not reccomended initially - however this seems to be diff related - see below)

page 1.pdf

page 2.pdf

page 3.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 10y 3m 22d

Gee interesting reading.

I've signed up here because I'm about to pickup a new xr6t.

Back in 03 I needed a new car and I also own a boat so it was a choice of falcon or Late model camira for me. I would never have a 4x4 in my driveway.

I was so tempted to buy the xr6t back then as the BA XR8 still hadn't arrived. What put me off was a concern about heat, I live in regional WA and it can hit 50° here.

So I ended up with a BA XT V8 and she has been a great and loyal servant over the years and delivered similar performance with great fuel economy (14-16l/100k)

Towing the boat from Melbourne to Perth was the highlight.

It looks like I will be missing nothing with the change of car, that's a huge relief.

Oh and I nearly was caught out with the lower limit of the manual too, glad I found that in time.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Happy new year and all that jazz.

Well - a little feedback on my first heavy tow with the XR6T.....

I towed the caravan (approx 1200kg) with the new XR6T for the first time over christmas - the car performed faultlessly.

Major differences I noted between the XR6T and my old tow car (a VE Late model camira 3 litre sedan).....

The Late model camira actually felt a little more stable, not much, but just noticeable.....it may have been the wind (it was very windy in Victoria over the new years break)??

However - the falcon was still very stable, no issue at all. No bottoming out, scraping speed humps or nasty swaying.

The big difference - the XR6T did it sooooo much easier. In the old little 3 litre, she would struggle up hills, screaming revs, holding gears (small engine / bugger all torque) - whereas the the XR6T - I swear it never even built up a sweat....simply loping along at 1500rpm on the open road most of the time......

And this alone - means the towing experience was so much easier, less stressful and less tiring.....Overall - an awesome towing rig!

I crunched the numbers - and over a 350km stretch that was mainly open flat road - it averaged 17.1 litres per 100km - which I reckon aint to bad for a fully loaded car, boot and big boxy caravan doing 100km/h.....

• Like 2

I am doing some construction on a large property that had a dodgy private sealed road over 50km long to get to the dirt road that leads to the construction sight (another 10km). this track becomes too dodgy for concrete trucks so its all hand mixed..

I load 3.5 tone (sand metal mix) into a 1 tone trailer (total 4.5 ton) and the ute tows it easy. The dirt track is steep (too steep for a concrete truck) both up and down. probably done 50 loads in total

Had a few hairy moments when the trailer brake failed (the cable broke) but the ute is still going strong.

when I get back on public roads and tow legal loads it feels like (in ned flanders voice) nothing at all.

and its a manual. I get about 14 L/100 towing at 80 kmh - they are great towing cars. (Hayman reese HD towbar fitted)

• Member For: 17y 11m 3d

Great read and very informative.

My previous towing vehicle was a Ford Ranger Wildtrak which I towed my Haines Traveler bowrider with. Looking to get back into the turbo'd falcons (previously had a BA XR6t) but had often wondered what the towing capabilities would be like... So very happy to hear of your experiences!

Cheers

Anthony

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 4m 25d

Hi Chris,

Great article.

I am looking at towing a boat ( not as big as yours) with my next FG Turbo.

I was wondering if I could quote some of your post ( esp sec 5 ) to show some none believers

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 19d

Hi Chris,

Great article.

I am looking at towing a boat ( not as big as yours) with my next FG Turbo.

I was wondering if I could quote some of your post ( esp sec 5 ) to show some none believers

Hi Samboc,

Apologies for the late reply. I hadn't been on the boards in a while and once again I am humbled my post still lives as a sticky after 3 years. I never imagines I would still be contributing to this post after 3 years.

Please feel free to quote away!

While you are at it give this some thought!

Whilst the falcon is rated to tow up to 2,300 kg the closer you get to that limit the more important it becomes to look at upgrading your trailer.

By close my general rule of the thumb is; if your trailer is being called upon to lug around 80% of its maximum capacity and you plan to haul long distances then I would consider upgrading your trailer.

Ideally you would look to upgrade / up spec your trailer if you were in the market to buy a new a trailer, having said this most trailer manufacturers would be glad to help you with upgrading an existing trailer as well.

In my case my trailer is a Mackay and my experience upgrading my trailer and having a new 3,000 kg compliance plate issued was exceptional. The guys at Mackay Trailers went out of their way to help me achieve my gaols and did allot to minimize the cost, can’t ask for more than this.

Assuming your trailer is rated to around 1,995 kg I would look at the following upgrades:

1. Weight Distribution Hitches (WDH)

2. Upgrade trailer wheels by 1”

3. Look at going 4 wheel discs and full brake away setp

• WDH – They are just the ducks guts. I have purchased both the Ford kit (with my BA XR8) and Hayman Reece, hands down the Hayman Reece wins. In fact I would buy the Hayman Reece WDH and keep it, each time I change cars I will order a Hayman Reece setup to match the new car and the WDH. Once you get the hang of the WDH setup they will make a significant difference to stability and make sure everything stays straight and level
  • Upgrade your wheels by 1”- In my case this means fitting 14" wheels, it’s a no brainier, it improves the ride as well as fuel economy. Make sure you fit light truck tyres and inflate them to the correct pressure; the increase in diameter enables you to run increased tyre pressure.
  • Upgrading Brakes - Next I would look closely at your brakes. I know it is not cheap but what price so you put on your own safety and towing ease. After completing 3 trips with my new braking setup it still blows me away. The first bonus of going with a full breakaway system is “NO MORE THUD THUD THUD” each time you brake. The sliding trailer hitch that operates the old braking system is GONE……………YIPPEEEE But wait!!!! There is more. With the trailer fitted with disc brakes on all 4 wheels and a clever controller in the car I now have unbelievable control over my brakes. In my case I went with a Hydrasater braking system and a Tekonsha P3 controller. I have so much control that I can lock up all 4 trailer wheels and stop my car and trailer with ease. Once I had the setup properly dialled in it was time to see what difference it makes.

Now the journey from Melbourne to Adelaide has 2 very hilly sections that are just punishing on any setup; that is the run from Melbourne to just outside of Beaufort and from Tailem Bend to Adelaide.

For me it is the second section that really tests your stress levels more than anything. After 8 hours or so behind the wheel you have to keep your wits about you especially the run down the Adelaide Hills.

Well, I was massively surprised how easy this section of the journey has become as a result of my new brake setup. When the big hills are a comin I just dial up the brake boost on the controller altering the brake curve so the trailer brakes engage earlier. After that just cruise along, the brake controller does the rest.

It is as simple as that.

In discussing this with one of my fishing buddies I arrived at this conclusion.

Upgrading your trailer brakes falls in the same category as installing an anchor winch in your boat.

Both upgrades fall in the “It is an expensive upgrade and you feel you can make do without them, however when you bite the bullet and get them installed you will NEVER go back”, it is as simple as that!!!

In closing if you are loading up your trailer consider getting it updated / upgraded as the difference is staggering.

Like most people who have commented on this post I do not want a great big oofffyyyy 4x4 or SUV as my daily (no offence to my 4x4 and SUV mates).

My car is performing towing duties 15% of the time, therefore the other 85% of the time it is just a daily driver.

Getting around town in a sports sedan is just so much more enjoyable and easy to live with.

The key to making this marriage work is the trailer, get that right and you will have one super stable towing platform that can will surprise you!!!

That’s it for now, please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to anwer them.

Kindest Regards,

Chris

• Donating Members

Great read and very informative.

My previous towing vehicle was a Ford Ranger Wildtrak which I towed my Haines Traveler bowrider with. Looking to get back into the turbo'd falcons (previously had a BA XR6t) but had often wondered what the towing capabilities would be like... So very happy to hear of your experiences!

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Stevebag sums it up quite nicely

The big difference - the XR6T did it sooooo much easier. In the old little 3 litre, she would struggle up hills, screaming revs, holding gears (small engine / bugger all torque) - whereas the the XR6T - I swear it never even built up a sweat....simply loping along at 1500rpm on the open road most of the time......

Every car I have owned needed to use its max revs in order accelerate from a standing start or overtake. The XR6 Turbo has such a massive spread of torque you simply do not need to ring its neck.

It is amazing how your perception changes when towing with a vehicle that had massive amounts of power and torque in reserve.

If your tow vehicle is doing it easy you feel more at ease.

Conversely if your tow vehicle is being called upon to produce 100% of its power and torque on a regular basis you begin worrying if everything will hold together.

As for your Haines Traveler (is it a tb170) the XR6 turbo will have no issues.

If it is a tb170 your towing weight would be around 1,200 to 1,300 kg, could be as high as 1,400 kg depending on gear installed.

Which model XR6 Turbo are you looking to purchase?

Cheers,

Chris

• Donating Members

I am doing some construction on a large property that had a dodgy private sealed road over 50km long to get to the dirt road that leads to the construction sight (another 10km). this track becomes too dodgy for concrete trucks so its all hand mixed..

I load 3.5 tone (sand metal mix) into a 1 tone trailer (total 4.5 ton) and the ute tows it easy. The dirt track is steep (too steep for a concrete truck) both up and down. probably done 50 loads in total

Had a few hairy moments when the trailer brake failed (the cable broke) but the ute is still going strong.

when I get back on public roads and tow legal loads it feels like (in ned flanders voice) nothing at all.

and its a manual. I get about 14 L/100 towing at 80 kmh - they are great towing cars. (Hayman reese HD towbar fitted)

Hi rockafellqeinstien,

That's some serious haulin.

​It has been mentioned many times that the ute makes a better tow vehicle than the sedan (well, when it comes to the FG)

Only down side to Hayman Reece kit is the HD tow bar interferes with the reverse park sensors.

Fit the HD Tow bar and put the car in reverse and all you get is one loud constant beep.

It only happens with the HD tow bar (I.e. 2,300, the 1,600 kg does not interfere..

It is a small nuisance in order to have a better quality towing solution with is easily adjustable.

Cheers,

Chris