Towing Interstate With My Fg Xr50 Turbo – Beware Super Long Post

SmokinXR6

• Member For: 20y 5m 19d

Yeah that's the other thing 4x4s are used for towing boats, its so they can get up slippery/sandy boat ramps. I used to have a few traction problems trying to pull my jet ski out of the water. that's when the front wheels are needed to grip.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 6m 18d

How does it go pulling out from a greasy ramp?

Hi Tobey,

I have used a hand full of ramps around Melbourne, but have used numerous ramps around Adelaide and regional SA.

So far I have had no issues.

The best advice I can give when it comes to retrieving is:

When you are ready to pull your boat out, switch to Manual Mode, select first gear but leave DSC on.(I prefer to leave it on in case I do get it horribly wrong it will cut out the excessive wheel spin, well that's what I am hoping will happen) I tend to use both feet at this point (one foot on the brake and one the go pedal), Push you revs up to just over 1,000RPM (or until I can feel there is enough torque going to the back wheels that my car wont go backward when I release the brake), ease of the brake apply a Little more gas until I get some forward momentum going (My speed at this point would be at about walking pace). At that point I keep the accelerator dead constant until the boat and trailer are on flat land.

The trick I have found is get some forward momentum going (at walking pace) and keep it there until you are clear of the ramp.

Having said this I only ever recall launching of one greasy ramp over at SA (this was with my XR8), The back wheels didn't go crazy mainly due to the low and steady RPM I was using.

To be honest most ramps I use are pretty decent and apart from encountering the odd ramp full of sea weed that's been about it. Not sure if this really helps.

In the end 4x4 will always have the added advantage when retrieving a boat. Having said this running into a really greasy ramp has been a very rare occurrence.

Hope this helps.

I to think this is a great write up.

I was wondering what to think when I first started reading. Hoping only good things.

Its good to know I will be right to tow anything with my XR50T now.

If only I could convince the guys at work that your pic was actually my car with a boat.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Appreciate your feedback.

What are you planning on towing with your XR50T?

The one point I didn't drive home in my original post is to always use Manual Mode when towing.

Having control over when you change up and down makes a huge difference. On the way up I prefer to hold my RPM a tad higher for the same throttle setting in Manual Mode then would otherwise occur in "D" as this prevents placing to much load on the engine once you have changed gears and your RPM dips. On the way down I use it always for its engine braking. Being able to wash of some of your speed by changing down a cog has so many advantages.

Not sure why your mates at work didn't believe you. Come on, how many black XR50T are cruising around dontknow.gif:)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 26d

The closest anyone came to believing it was my boat was a few comments anking "who's boat I was towing"?

Atleast they rocognised the car type.

Im only intending to tow light loads but have towed furnatur trailers with the BA XR6T I had last.

Colin

• Donating Members

At least it was worth a try.....lol Thanks for the compliment, I am quite proud of the ol' girl, she just turned 19.

Seriously though your XR50T will do it with ease. The biggest thing that stands out for me is how little of the car's rev range you end up using.
They way they are setup / tuned makes towing an absolute delight.
Just remember to keep an eye on your tyres and consider getting your car wheel aligned after a long haul (I would consider getting it wheel aligned after completing a series of shorter trips as well.)
I have yet to cost up a set of new tyres but if they are anything like my BA getting it wheel aligned is very cheap insurance.

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 22d

Thanks for the writeup! Just assessing the merits of an XR6T for towing, and this has confirmed what I have thought about the ability of the vehicle.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 17y 10m 24d

Thanks for the write up, been tossing up between an xr6t or grange for towing my toy car around with... seeing as it will be around similar weight your write up was very informative

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Hi Snapper,

Love the name, caught some thumping big reds in my time :)

Thanks for asking as you have prompted me about something I should have mentioned in my original post. I briefly touched on my tow setup for each car but there is allot more to it.

My XR8 and Territory both had the factory HD Tow pack (includes the Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH))

I found the factory kit to be OK however there were several issues, namely:

1. The black paint peels of easily leading to surface rust if you did not repaint them regularly; and

2. The WDH varies between different Ford Cars. As an example the Load levelers on the Territory were longer than the XR8. This gets very annoying each time you change cars having to redo your tow setup. This issue is quite specific to my trailer setup. Due to space issues on the draw bar I have had to weld my "A Frame" adapter to my winch post. Generally speaking its less of an issue when towing "A Frame" trailers (I.e. Caravans or car trailers) as all you have to do is readjust the load leveler mounting points.

On the XR50 Turbo I chose to go with the a Hayman Reece HD Tow Pack. Price wise they are pretty much the same. The Hayman Reece setup is heaps better quality wise, the hitch is fully height adjustable (great if you are thinking about lowering your car) and I plan to keep ordering the same kit on future Ford cars negating the need to having to reset your tow setup.

Having said that there is ONE issue I came across you need to be aware of (although some might argue its a minute issue).

The Hayman Reece WDH (the hitch you fit on when using load levelers) is substantially larger than the standard ford version.

As such it interferes with the reverse park sensors. This only occurs when you have the big hitch fitted to your car but you do NOT have a trailer connected. (the reverse park sensors are disabled the second you connect your trailer lights).

Having said this the reverse park sensors will go nuts, constantly beeping when you are in reverse.

In the end I quickly got in the habit of removing my WDH immediately after a long tow and would fit the small hitch for towing short distances or leave them both of the car.

Hope this helps.

Chris

nice car, I was looking for a black 50th xr6t but they sold out crybaby.gif

Crikey!!!

It wasn't that long ago you could still get one new. Did a quick search on Car Sales and they were all 2nd hand except for a newy in Sunburst.

There was a 2nd hand black XR50 Turbo with a bugger all Km's that might suit.

Other than that I would try Strapp Ford on the off chance they may have one in their holding stock.

Best of luck, I would keep trying as they represent such awesome value

• 2 weeks later...