Zf Issues - Anyone Had/got These?

Pete A

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 4m 28d

So if Essgee's sh*ts itself in ten years time he's just has to take it in an Ford will give him a brand spanker?

I would think if I didn't persue the issue and have it tidied up within 3 months then I would deservedly be on my own from there. God help me even more if I'm still driving this one on ten years time to even worry about it.

I wanna be in my second FPV by then.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 14d

Got an issue:

Car: 2010 FG XRT6 Ute with ZF 6HP26. Standard power. Daily driver. Not abused. ZF is also standard and never been opened. Currently 161 000 klms

History: Told Ford that on first start (cold) the auto would require a little more throttle than normal before the converter would engage to accelerate from a standstill on the first street corner. Once at normal temp it was normal. The ZF was flushed during 135 000 klm service by Ford dealer.

Current: Noticed that the converter is locking and unlocking when on cruise control at around 70-80 km. Revs bounce approx 250-300 rpm. Don't notice it at freeway speeds or any other strange things happening. The cooler is the original one from the factory. I dropped the oil and pan and but the oil was red and not a strawberry milkshake. The ZF lifeguard 6 oil is a transparent yellow colour. Called Ford and they said that they flushed it with a red fully synthetic multi trans fluid and also put a "conditioner" ( ?? ) in it. The filter was the original from August of 2010. The filter and magnets had a grey silt in the them. 

Approx 7.2 ltrs was drained from the trans after being shut down for about a week. A full system holds about 10-11 ltrs.

There is no evidence of a milkshake unless this red oil or the conditioner doesnt do it. The coolant tank is the normal glycol green but it does have some light brown mousse in the bottom of it. Looking at a lot of other images of other falcon cooler tanks, they also seem to have the same stains after it has been cleaned out during a coolant flush. My neighbor has a 2010 FG XR6T manual (no trans cooler) and his radiator coolant tank has the stains as well.

Anyone know what maybe the cause of the locking / unlocking if it's not a milkshake ?

Is it possible to pressure test the trans cooler circuits to see if its passing ?

Edited by O Trader

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Sounds like the box has milkshaked. You dont need much coolant in the box to wreck it.  Change the heat exchanger and oil and hope for the best. BUT its probably to late. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 14d

Had the old OEM water/oil heat exchanger pressured test @ 50psi after oven heating to 70 deg C. Held pressure no problem. 

Also conducted a crackle test on the oil and no water was present.

Edited by O Trader