Car Won't Start

Marksman X

• Member For: 13y 4m 8d

Background:

Battery was disconnected for several days while modifications were carried out (new cooler and plumbing), got everything back together - tried to start it, and won't start.

Here's the problem:

Try to start the car, and everything works as normal, lights come on, fuel pump primes, kick it in the guts and it just 'ticks' off the starter motor. Everytime!

Try to jump start it - nothing, does the exact same thing.

Everything works, radio works - no security code, all the lights work, dash works, central locking works. I'm really quite confused?!

The interior light dims quite alot when I try to start it ( right when the fuel pump is priming) - I'm thinking maybe a bad earth somewhere?

The only thing I can think of is a bad earth, or it's simply because the headlights and foglights aren't hooked up ( taken off while installing new cooler).

Suggestions?

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 1d

Sounds like a bad earth... Have you checked volts and current of battery?

Try tighten the negative on again...

• Member For: 13y 4m 8d

I'm going to check it again when I get homw from work tonight - but I'm pretty confident the negative was tight. I reckon the bad earth would be elsewhere - just don't know where.

I think I will re-flash the tune while I'm going to. Perhaps being without a battery for a few days has done something bizarre to the ECU and it's lost it's way?!

It just doesn't make sense. Everything works - but it just 'ticks' off the starter like a car with a half flat battery would - but the battery isn't flat, we tried 3 of them, all from working cars.

• Member For: 16y 2m 24d

Did you remove the under battery pipe??? Isnt there an earth there? Make sure the earths on the right hand chassis rail and earth on block are all tight too. If jumper leads are good quality and theres no doubt with the battery,it definately sounds like an earth concern.

• Moderating Team
  • Member For: 21y 2m 24d

or it's simply because the headlights and foglights aren't hooked up ( taken off while installing new cooler).

Suggestions?

Id say that's your problem right there.

Re-assemble your car completely, and get back to us.