Heat Exchangers

Quicker6

• Member For: 15y 22d

Hi, new here.. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.. )& BFll XR6T 440rwhp heaps of mods surge tank, 870injectors prosess west cooler 4inch dump pipe, bigger front housing on the turbo and 3moubths ago I had a heat exchange fail and filled my transmission full of coolant and my coolant full of oil. which inturn wrecked the electronic valve body and I was quoted $6000 to replace it. in the end an exchange box was $7400 and I replaced the heat exchange. .. and low and behold its happened again right on the 3month mark.... There has to be a cheaper way around this problem, have any of yous had such an issue. although my car has been inhanced is ford liable for any of this..? thx

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 7m 15d

Do a search as there is heaps on this topic but bypassing the standard ford (in-radiator setup) and just using an external oil cooler in the guard or squeezed elsewhere is safest bet.

• Member For: 14y 10m 19d

hi quicker6 that happened to me as well the box has to be striped completely dominello racing transmissions in sydney did mine he has to do a rebuild with new clutches and strip the valve body down clean it all inside and it was fine. it cost about $3800 then after that I put a b&m transcooler on with thermo fan and with built in thermostat so the fan switches on at 75c and the trans oil I used was amsoil A.T.L which is very good works the best ive tried all the others and this one wins hands down . hope this helps

• Member For: 15y 22d

I dont think ford will warranty anything that is bolted to an inhanced vehicle even if they did waranty it. Its the transmission im really concerned with.. the heat exchange is 180 the trans is 7400.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 2d

All these stories are becoming a little to common place ATM and it is making me nervous.....

As that has already been said in other Threads, there is conflicting stories about running a trans cooler on the ZF... From what I have been told, it is something about the ZF needs to run at a particular Temp in order to run at Opt performance. By running a transcooler this can cause the trans to run below this temp which may also cause damage to the trans? (Something like that anyway)... :dontknow:

What is the deal here? Can any members or sponsors with experience in the ZF's explain which is the best approach in protecting this kind of problems with the ZF?

I guess I am asking, "To transcooler or Not".....

Cheers

Ben

I dont think ford will warranty anything that is bolted to an inhanced vehicle even if they did waranty it. Its the transmission im really concerned with.. the heat exchange is 180 the trans is 7400.

if your worried about warranty dont do anything to your car

All these stories are becoming a little to common place ATM and it is making me nervous.....

As that has already been said in other Threads, there is conflicting stories about running a trans cooler on the ZF... From what I have been told, it is something about the ZF needs to run at a particular Temp in order to run at Opt performance. By running a transcooler this can cause the trans to run below this temp which may also cause damage to the trans? (Something like that anyway)... :dontknow:

What is the deal here? Can any members or sponsors with experience in the ZF's explain which is the best approach in protecting this kind of problems with the ZF?

I guess I am asking, "To transcooler or Not".....

Cheers

Ben

as for the trans heat exchanger that's for heating the oil when cold start up but doesnt cool efficently enough with a lot more power and with a performance car ive used a trans cooler for a while now and no problems if the oil gets to hot it will burn and break down and clutches will burn so the cooler works well .

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 7m 2d

as for the trans heat exchanger that's for heating the oil when cold start up but doesnt cool efficently enough with a lot more power and with a performance car ive used a trans cooler for a while now and no problems if the oil gets to hot it will burn and break down and clutches will burn so the cooler works well .

Thanks mate

1. Do not bypass the radiator cooler (get an after market radiator if your worried about the stock unit).

2. Get yourself a correctly thermostated oil cooler.

Thanks mate, what aftermarket radiator and oil cooler would you recommend? I was looking at the ones from PWR.

Cheers

Ben