The Alice Springs To Sydney Nightmare

• Waiting for the 1st N/A 12!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 18d

OK so more news! All was looking rosy warranty wise until an Engineer from Ford Melbourne sent an email to my service guy requesting that they halt works and send the PCM down to him to go through. OK so with this news we had top re think our strategy as once the Engineer gets his hands on the PCM he'll know about the tweaks in a heartbeat as FORD engineers can delve a hell of a lot deeper then your local ford work shop. Hell there even using PCM's now in court to prove speeding offenses, our cars computer will log that on wed 12th at 2.35 pm you were doing 172 kms per hour etc...

So with this somber news and the fact that my engine was 3/4 torn down as it was I decided to bite the bullet and tow it down to my tuners workshop and have them really find out what the bloody hell was going on. This way also my ford guy can kill the PCM request and my case file leaving me with warranty for another 2+ years!

Well as the previous pics showed piston 3 decided at some stage to start hula hooping a little in it's home so now we have 3 choices ahead of us:-

1) Send the block to the machine shop and then throw new oversize pistons and rods at it... I've been told before never try and salvage a block if you don't have to.

2) Throw a new FG F6 bottom end in... seems the most cost effective and it;s limits are still within my power goals.

3) Atomic bottom end.. nuff said!

We of course won't make the final call on this until Monday when I have a chance to sit down with the tuner and discuss all the options, remembering that you don't get to many opportunities to play with your motor when it's on a stand!

Budget is around the 7k mark so we'll just see what we can achieve I.e with the budget we have, my Ford mate can sort me out a FG F6 short motor for around 2.5k so that might be the most logical start right there!

Stay tuned.

P.s. Oh and if anyone has a F6 short motor or something similar let me know I'm in the market!

Edited by Vevapower

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 3d

OK so more news! All was looking rosy warranty wise until an Engineer from Ford Melbourne sent an email to my service guy requesting that they halt works and send the PCM down to him to go through. OK so with this news we had top re think our strategy as once the Engineer gets his hands on the PCM he'll know about the tweaks in a heartbeat as FORD engineers can delve a hell of a lot deeper then your local ford work shop.

I thought something like that might happen.

This way also my ford guy can kill the PCM request and my case file leaving me with warranty for another 2+ years!

You might find your car gets flagged on the system for prior approval from now on.

Just get your mate to check the cars details in a couple of weeks and cross your fingers.

Any word from the original owner?

• Waiting for the 1st N/A 12!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 18d

The prior owner only answers SMS's and won't take my calls (very weak if you ask me) so his last message was "So is there anything I can do from up here to help you out" my reply was "yeah how about giving me 5k back"

I guess the lesson here guys is that when you buy a used modified car make sure you don't use the stereo for the 1st say 100 kms of spirited driving, so you can listen out for signs of detonation and pinging!

Anyways suck it up move on and booooooossstttt it I say!

Oh yeah hopefully they don't black flag my warranty as well! Though my work pays for all my repairs, fuel, rego, insurance etc..l essentially if I have a car cost I don't pay for it. Actually just quietly my work paid for at least a 3rd of my BF mods! Naughty Naughty!