My baby turned 300 at last (pic heavy)

discostig

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 11d

Phoar them injectors look pretty good! wish they'd have fitted the g, but probs a good thing. No mods for old man = safe life and happy wife!

• Like 1

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Hey here he is - thanks for the parts mate they are doing well do far!  Can't wait to turn up the wick and run it down at the motorplex and then Racewars next year!

How's your dash green ute going?

• Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 8m 11d

Hey Steve, I'm also looking forward to seeing how your beast goes, and you're very welcome, the ute is awesome, Hugh step up from the XH :)

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m
On 19/09/2016 at 2:47 PM, -Stever- said:

Is there some sort of UV barrier clear spray you can put on plastics at all?

They are UV protected so once the protection wears through I found in the repco headlight restoration kit it includes a clear spray coat. worst bit is you take the sandpaper they give you to your headlight and think you've completely screwed it up, then spray this stuff and they become almost perfectly clear. the lights were pretty yellow (my old car).

p.s I want your old ones :P

Edited by johnxr6t

• Donating Members

The old ones are likely to be busted up as I tend to kill them by removing them from the outside  :ninja:

Maybe I'll wait until the weekend and fit them properly this time...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members

So I put the new repeater covers on properly this time, by undoing the wheel well and reaching up in there to release the clip in globe holders so they can fall outwards, then twist the cover 90° and slip off.  

7b1znWS.jpg 

Much nicer!

brKwYDb.jpg

These covers are Hella genuine!

5cwFfBI.jpg

I woke up that morning and found that as a fleabay promotional deal on buying new plastic indicator covers for the low low price of $1000, you also got a set of ultralight racing rims for free.  Boy I love online shopping.

When my eBay delivery guy arrived with the parcel we test fitted them in the carpark right before I drove to catch Disturbed play in Perth that Wednesday night.  Good times.

OkIOOmB.jpg

The rims are Advan RG-D in 17x8.5" +33.  Ideally I'd have 18's for looks but these have a tough fat tyre look to them which I'm enjoying, plus an even comfier ride and potentially cheaper tyres depending what I'm buying.

Om nom nom

Y3Nl3gS.jpg

They are so incredibly light.  I'm not a big bloke but I could still grab a single spoke with one hand and hold the rim more or less sideways and wave it around a bit.

IqmXq7S.jpg

• Like 5

• Donating Members

Now, they actually didn't clear the phat calipers at this stage.  The wheel weights were a couple of mm too far in, which I made sure to point out to the tyre shop that Friday so they knew to fit the weights accordingly.

Test fit showed they were touching by about 0.25mm but because of the squishy foam backing they slipped past with a very slight rub.  I was overdue on my lunch break so had to go.

GI7Jd7h.jpg

Threw the old 18's (which weigh twice as much as the new rims) into the car

EgdygmN.jpg

Off we go! I got back to work for the rest of the Friday arvo

...with tyres and rims on just in time for the cruise the following afternoon.

TDlRcJr.jpg

Popped a joiner hose off twice during the cruise and resorted to proving plastic > metal.  This held fine and stood up to two tunnel runs :)

yS8Ndoo.jpg

So it turns out rims do flex a bit under load so when I took it around some hard corners on the cruise the weights did actually chew out the paint a bit more seriously :/

He won't read this anyway but sorry Mike hahaha (haven't told him his paint job is compromised yet).

Turboknapp did me a favour today and sorted me with a replacement clamp which seems to be going OK so far, as well as a spare hose and clamp just in case, champion!  

QJzwJqD.jpg

Something has been put out of place in the piping as it no longer lines up - danger Will Robinson

O08ZPh0.jpg

Hopefully this stays put until I can get it fixed.

Had a go at hammering the weights a bit flatter since they are lead, but they proved quite resilient...I put a bit more angle on it and PEW

Ikphhgw.jpg

Little 5hits.

Luckily the missus has double sided tape so tonight I've removed the thick foam gunk and also stuck them on a couple mm further out.  I'm sure it won't affect the ride quality much if at all, I just hope this tape holds.  Since it's on the inside of a spinning surface it will be forced "down" so fingers crossed!

I should have looked a bit closer at the weights before trying to hammer them.  Who remembers their periodic table?

NRanfGv.jpg

There is still a noise coming from the wheel which I'm starting to think is the bearing on the way out...it squeaks at me and I confirmed it's not the weights rubbing, since it happens just prior to them passing the caliper.  Better keep a close eye on it.

Four years ago I did this photochop and ever since I've wanted a set of rims like this.  This was when I spotted that a set of SSR Type C-RS were up for sale, 17x8 for $1200 (forget the offset).

zr9FaCG.jpg

I reckon I got pretty close!

v25QLJR.jpg

f69j3UI.jpg

Back at the tyre shop before the tyre shine went on:

1GHIoAO.jpg

The steering in noticeably lighter now.  I actually found I turned the wheel with too much force for a gentle correction once at first!  The tyres are 245/45/17 so the ride is smoother now which is welcome up in the hills with some bad roads including my dirt/rocks driveway - covering it in blue metal will cost the same that I paid for these rims hahaha.

Lighter rims also aid acceleration and braking, not to mention cornering, so this will help me when I hit the Racewars track in March.  Hopefully my sprint track time isn't too embarrassing!

• Like 7