My baby turned 300 at last (pic heavy)

discostig

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m

Was wondering who would ask that question first!

Still have it, unmarried, 4 unlocks left :)

It won't be going back on my car - I used a secondary tune only once in the last six years to run 95.  Now I own 2 jerries, 4 if I include the old metal one and the one the missus bought.  The XCAL3 is basically capital that I need to liquidate so it can pay for something else, like a stronger fuel pump in the nearish future!

• Like 2

• Donating Members

I'm not sure yet - it will only be an in tank solution, I'm not keen on a surge.  I'm waiting on results of one someone else has already ordered.  No big rush for this...the sooner the better because powerskids...but really it's just so I can get used to it before Racewars in early March 2017.  I'll be entering the sprint as well as the drag racing/1000m top speed challenges.

Have found the mega repair list, so here we go

F9wJupJ.jpg

1FkEdI1.jpg

l4ko6b4.jpg

• Like 6

• Donating Members

So

Basically the engine had leaking gaskets on the timing cover and sump leaving a few drips of oil when parked - a bit unprofessional for a work car not to mention messing up my own driveway (or Kyle's for a few months hahaha cheers mate).  It also had bulk exhaust leaks.  They put a smoke machine on it to find them at first and it was leaking out all over the joint.  Basically everything on the exhaust side! 

They machined the faces true and welded up the cracks in the dump and manifold, and fitted studs and washers to replace the exhaust manifold bolts.  We discussed some options, in the end we went on a kit that came on advice from some turbo rotary racers that the mechanic deals with who used to have a similar issue with heat loosening nuts and bolts.  I didn't get a name for exactly what he put on I'm afraid but the nuts look a bit special and they were in place nicely about 1000km later.   This was mainly me asking for a way to reduce the amount of maintenance I have to do on the car.  I'll give it back to him soon for a checkup at about 7,500km and see if they are still in place.

Piccies!

Cracked dump

tApfsda.jpg

Welding it up

C7DiBDO.jpg

Weld on the exhaust manifold - this wasn't even known to be cracked until it came off the car

1CaolJD.jpg

Shiny nuts, yeahhh boiiiii

Oaor5hy.jpg

• Like 6

• Donating Members

So the valve train is exposed in that last pic...here's why.

MPYv0Rd.jpg

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

PWvwoQc.jpg

CztDVsr.jpg

These were fine at 200,000km, with 100 to 200 being with stronger Crow valve springs.  At some point between 200 and 300 thousand the hardening has worn off of the lobes and the lifters and rockers were looking a bit worse for wear too so we had to replace them.

Tocchi came to the rescue in short order with a set of BF turbo cams and lifters/rockers he basically had laying around (because race car) so I passed them on and they slotted them in.

While it was under the knife I also had them replace the timing chain with an atomic heavy duty one, why not.

No pics so here's their video

also new factory guides as mine once again had the end plastic missing

4Eatqvk.jpg

...and a set of Spool billet oil pump gears!  Pic from their site:

This set replaces the standard gears which are powdered metal. 

Precision machined from 4340 billet steel. These gears have been proven under extremely harsh conditions & stress. 

HzPe1uZ.jpg

I've hit rev limiter a few times over the years and this will hopefully ward off a complete failure a bit longer!

He said there were no dirty deposits of crap in the sump which was great to hear.  They cleaned up the sump and timing cover for me real nice like.  I almost bought a polished timing cover from Tocchi along with the other bits but they had already cleaned and painted mine up...plus it is only going to get dirty and stay dirty hahaha.

bOFoYch.jpg

LBhircS.jpg

wiW05Ov.jpg

Y4Eo1nf.jpg

:turboboink:

Edited by -Stever-
  • Like 8

• Donating Members

As you can read in the invoice they also did some tidy up work in there such as securing my oil feed line with some nicer fittings (see pics of injector change earlier), adding an extra bracket to support the dump pipe so it's not just hanging off the turbo, replaced some ancillaries (water pump, power steering pump I supplied), fixed a stripped thread on the exhaust side...

The damage all up was north of six grand (weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee), probably closer to seven when I add in the parts I bought myself...it could have been even more if not for the help from Tocchi, I got lucky on that one so cheers dude!

I have got my money's worth though, I've owned it for eight years and driven about 270,000 of the 312,000km myself :)

Oh here's a pic I forgot to post earlier, stock versus Bosch 968s aka green tops

FkiiRlo.jpg

• Like 5

• Donating Members

Hahaha yeah no skid vid...and I even have a bunch of spare tyres that the council won't collect as part of verge collection...

uhgJMEW.jpg

• Like 3