My baby turned 300 at last (pic heavy)

discostig

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Hahaha thanks guys, I was feeling inspired this evening.

Got lots of photos, should probably start posting them soon.  Nothing earth shattering for this forum, it ain't no 600rwkw build.  Probably more an example of when ownership becomes a symbiotic relationship!

Edited by -Stever-
  • Like 2

• Donating Members

So the IMS Diff Hat upgrade was an exciting choice to make.  Here are the rest of the install pics.  The shop doing the repairs is one I've mentioned in the past, Midland Auto Plus.  Specifically Chris and his brother Ben who know my car and prefer to be involved with the work for continuity.  They have shown to be on the ball when it comes to this stuff and are fantastic to deal with.

I have had a split side front superpro bush for ages circled in red here:

w5CRwiJ.jpg

They've asked me to allow them to install stock bushes in the rear again so that the IMS kit sits in exactly the right spot in regards to the factory placement of the driveline.  This is the first kit they have fitted and wanted to get it absolutely spot on, since they have used it to make up a jig for future installs.

Pic of the plate and brackets welded in place on the cleaned up rear cradle after they cut away the stock item:

AYD9nw8.jpg

The painted and fitted IMS kit.  I'm told by the resident welding lovers here that these look like good welds so that's nice to hear

FZRlK2I.jpg

...I've had a dodgy CV for ages, so somehow a replacement pair of stock ones found their way in.  Not baller enough to spend on 1200hp half shafts like some others around here, can't win em all I guess:

DAF94lS.jpg

They also spotted some worn bushes in the upper arms that connect the knuckles to the car, should help reduce the knocking a bit.

Knuckle end:

4YyELCL.jpg

Busted old POS:

IRhFi1U.jpg

Arm goes in here (can be seen in position in the second pic):

N4b6nb2.jpg

It fits!  Not quite done though, missing some comfy bits still...

K5Fr8iN.jpg

I notice that my removal of one "bump" from the factory bump stops seems to have offended their sensibilities so they've installed some lowered stops instead, hahaha.  Compare to the earlier CV pic which has the black ones missing the lowest section.

7n97vPN.jpg

That just about sums up the rear end work I had done last week.  I'm dying to feel how it drives now when I'm harsh on it but will have to wait for the second half of the work to be completed, hopefully it's done before this weekend.

One thing that I know I never have to suffer again is:

41Nd47q.jpg

This pic is courtesy of a B series Typhoon in there right now.  No IMS diff hat planned for this poor guy though.  I also have Superpro spring seats, my stock rubber ones wore right through ages ago, undoubtedly documented in a previous post.

Next update will deal with the engine and has some not too good news in it unfortunately.  Oooooh cliffhanger foreshadowing!

• Like 7

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

Wicked thread. Thanks to you Steve I now have a long list of things to check. 

I hope this not too good news isn't a big kick in the nuts. 

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

Far out Steve, at least your list is at 300k km.

I just hit 76k km and I had three things to add to my list today.

The minister of war and finance is now officially on a war path.

:(

• Donating Members

I'm a bit scared of what the final bill will be but if I talk about it in terms of average spend per year it will look better.  Per km would be even lower again!

:)

Should have more updates in the next couple of days I hope!

• Like 1

• Donating Members
3 hours ago, mightbuyaford said:

did something leak in your boot? distinct markings around the drain plug. Hopefully not from the rain

Yeah I was trying to figure out what I did there.  Was wondering if it could be from them cleaning up the frame and spray hitting the wheel well outside and running down to the lowest point while on the hoist.  It never smells gross in the boot or spare heel well so there's no reason it should suddenly be letting water in.  I imagine they would have seen that and investigated if it was a leak.

Just remembered I had a 5L jug of water in the boot that was pretty thin plastic, might have been pierced by the pair of axle stands I also keep in there.

• Like 1