• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Despoilered it!!

XxkXGJE.jpg

JK.  Time to SMASH out the real update.

Thursday 1:48pm - paying all attention to not hitting the closely parked cars backing in to work spot...didn't check how close I was to the fire escape.  Thankfully only the spoiler got hit, not the boot.

k6bsi8b.jpg

Couldn't just temporarily remove it and tape over the holes either as the centre brake light is a legal requirement IIRC.

Dental lab next door at work has super glue and accelerator so I did this to stop water getting in the giant hole (50c size bit flew off)...

Good as new!  

jtH1ItA.jpg

...yeah, nah.

Missus was off work for the day after a seminar, so was able to chase up a replacement for me.  Didn't even ask her to!  I was trawling gumtree etc and considering options like boot lip spoilers.  She found one in good nick and same colour (boring common silver FTW) at FordHold wreckers.  It wasn't actually in stock there, a worker had it at home from a boot swap or something and in much better condition than the peeling clear coat ones in store.

I rocked up there early Friday morning 8am to get it as arranged, but the guy forgot to bring it in >_>  

Drove around another day feeling like a total mong.  Any time I overtook a nice car I could feel them LOLing at me.

So anyway Picked it up this morning (Saturday) instead

Dc5MIdi.jpg

Was going to fit it at home Saturday but happened to be offered a bit of time on a hoist to do an oil change that was overdue (10,100km or so old instead of 7,500) and also an overdue catch up.  Good thing too as when it was removed I found rust was getting in there so I got to ask what Ralph reckoned.

PS the big rings are just dirt and rub marks on the paint in this pic, rust is actually just on the top left most hole.

3dn6JrU.jpg

Phil mentioned this happening to spoilered cars ages ago on here but I never looked at mine.  It had crept in from the edge of a hole.  Ralph suggested someone over tightening the nut underneath that holds it on = cracked open paint.  Water gets in there over time as usual.  I asked if he had any rust converter and was in luck.  I have some at home from finding under body panel join rust from where I'd collapsed a section of panel joins with a jack once.

Don't take your car to Ralph's joint, he grabs screwdrivers and attacks your car 

H58dhMa.jpg

No pics of the before but it was quite bubbled, here's the extent of the damage

pRdopUl.jpg

He chucked me some 800 grit wet and dry and rust converter and I got to it.

kwIGRSJ.jpg

I wish I had my own touch up paint with me but I wasn't at home and wanted it covered right away...so Velocity blue it was!

Luke will claim the car is now 0.001% on it's way to being painted.

HT3SRPL.jpg

Old and busted vs just old

zNyQY5B.jpg

There's a single clip plug for the spoiler that is pretty easy to detach, it runs through the right hand side spoiler leg, no pics though.

Checking it works...booyah

ocm85s0.jpg

Very happy with the colour match too

3ikawzX.jpg

The legs aren't quite as flush against the car as the original sadly, must have warped in storage, but no one will notice it unless they are washing my car.  I'm the only one who washes is so no problem.

The old one also had the worn out clear coat issue.  This one has a couple nicks on it in places but looks a hundred times better than what I was rocking before!  Cost me $200.  Fibreglass ebay jobs unpainted are $130 so this was a big win :)

Would have been better if I didn't have to spend the time and money but that's life!

Also car got rained on so it looks clean again on the front and sides...yesssssssssssssssss :turboboink:

• Like 4

• Member For: 13y 7m 23d
On 9/1/2010 at 3:02 PM, -Stever- said:

July 2010 rolls around, my new car warranty is expiring. I have had concerns over the noise my turbo seems to make as I shut down the car so I take it to Simon at XFT for a check. He says it's on the way out

What noise was it making? My turbo (I think) still runs occasionally after the ignition has stopped. It's like it's cooling down.

Still haven't got him back yet.

Waiting...

Thanks,

Leonie.

I love the lights! I want some for Vipir. Can you explain to me exactly what they are so I can get them fitted? My baby boy deserves menacing headlights, especially when I creep up behind wanker P-Plate Late model camira drivers at the traffic lights and slide in beside them on the grid.

Would appreciate your advice.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 30d

Good news on these angel eyes the FG's Leonie, you can buy a similar kit and swap them over without having to mess around like I did.  They are far harder to pull apart than the B series.

Have a look here - someone mentioned the Mars range of headlights at a get together we had today so I just googled for you.

http://marsperformance.com.au/Black-Angel-Eyes-Head-Lights-Ford-FPV-Falcon-FG-XR6-XR8-Sedan-Ute

Mine are not very bright compared to LEDs or even newer models of BMW which seem solid but almost as bright as LEDs.  These look brighter than mine.

They also do FG tail lights I like that look like Aston Marton ones.  I'm not a fan of many aftermarket tail lights, often too gaudy and you see them too often on nasty cheap cars so you become guilty by association.  These are decent though.  I quite like the stock ones on FGs though.

http://marsperformance.com.au/Black-LED-Tail-Lights-Ford-Falcon-FPV-FG-Sedan-XT-G6-XR

The turbo noise was a long time ago but being my first turbocharged car I was paranoid.  It was probably normal spin down noise - if you switch it off with the bonnet up and listen right away you can hear it spin down in there, it's normal.  If it's making bad grinding noises though get it looked at.  Mine had a only just started to go.  If my tuner didn't have a good purchasing history at the dealer I happened to get my car from I may not have gotten the new turbo under warranty at all.  Ford like to say "it's within spec" with stuff like that.

Ralph I have no idea what recycled oil you are talking about.  I placed 100mL of Castrol Edge Marker Oil (with Titanium Technology© of course:yeahyeah:) in there to more easily assist with confirming correct oil level on dipstick by bringing the overall shade down a few notches.  Do not let yourself get confused. :ninja:

Edited by -Stever-
  • Like 1

How much coverage and vision do you get with those gorgeous lights of yours? I do a bit of night-time driving at times, out in the country, and I'm wondering if I would get a good view of wildlife before it leapt out in front of me.