Low Idle, Stalling...

NVT

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 15d

Hey all,

Just chasing a couple of opinions quickly regarding a low engine idle. Been told numerous things from differing sources. Just want to know if this is a common problem, and what the solution might be.

Just a little about the issue - idle is lower than usual, and when stopping shudders before it downshifts at the lowest point of the gear. It also has a habit of surging particularly when cold.

Judging by what I've read, I'd say the coils are gone. Does any of this point to fuel pump/filter, injectors or spark plugs? Anything else?

I have had it tuned in the past, but it's been stock for about a year. One shop said it may be running too lean and might just need a retune. Can a tuner pinpoint the issue, or would a mechanic be my best bet?

Thanks guys,

Dan

• Member For: 17y 10m 26d

I had big surging isues with mine. Irradic idle,surging and stalling. Espcially on downshifting. It kept smashing the backlash on the diff... All this after I installed my PW Surge tank and 044. Turned out to be the fuel regulator was blocked. It had 800 psi fel pressure aganst the reg. New reg ad all is fine. This is just my experience. I am sure that thers will post also. A coil pack would give you miss right through the rev range. SO not thator plugs... Pump, filter or reg in my humble opinion..

• Formerly EGOBFXR6
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 2m 15d

Thanks HI,

Cheers for the advice. Look forward to some more replies, but I'll keep the fuel system in mind.

Thanks,

Dan

• Member For: 14y 1m 24d

ive also got this issue atm NVT and someone else on ford forums told me it could possibly be the TPS sensor as I see yours is a mk1 ba xr6 turbo aswell apprently it was common the TPS sensors would become faulty in this model.

But I havnt had chance to check this theory out so cant say for sure itll work.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 5d

Mine had a similar problem. Took it back to the tuners thinking it was a tune problem - turned out to be a blocked throttle body

• Member For: 13y 11m

Sounds like what mine would do time to time. Mine is a manual, and would also sometimes stall if I had the clutch in at idle. I was also told by a few people it was most likely the throttle position sensor.

But my motor recently blew up, and haven't yet got it back on the road. :(

• Member For: 14y 2m 27d

mine does the same thing at the moment. also my engine code was coming up before hand and I took it to the mechanic and the error was something to do with the tps. I then replaced the tps and the engine light was still coming on after I disconnected the battery and all that. now I sometimes get revs fluctuating between 250-800rpm

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 12y 10m 21d

Hey all,

Just chasing a couple of opinions quickly regarding a low engine idle. Been told numerous things from differing sources. Just want to know if this is a common problem, and what the solution might be.

Just a little about the issue - idle is lower than usual, and when stopping shudders before it downshifts at the lowest point of the gear. It also has a habit of surging particularly when cold.

Judging by what I've read, I'd say the coils are gone. Does any of this point to fuel pump/filter, injectors or spark plugs? Anything else?

I have had it tuned in the past, but it's been stock for about a year. One shop said it may be running too lean and might just need a retune. Can a tuner pinpoint the issue, or would a mechanic be my best bet?

Thanks guys,

Dan

hey mate did u get it sorted im having the same problem in my 03 BA?

• Member For: 13y 2m 30d

I've got the same problem with my bf n have found a mob in vic that supply a throttle body that is ment to fix the problem but haven't tried it yet. going to borrow one off a car that doesant have the problem n try it first will let u know how I go.