Fg Which Cooler

ronski123

• Member For: 14y 4m 6d

So in a drag race situation (which is what 99% of the guys around here are into) the bar & plate is the best option??

needs to be an unbiased test..

You used to work for PWR for longer than I can remember ;-)

Drag may be, as long as your starved engine radiator can cope with it... Circuit or constant load no.

Real world street speeds of 60-80km will see a much much longer recovery time for the bar and plate cooler.

Im not telling you anything you dont know.. You been doing this for as long as I have...

Showing no bias the wide tube pitch of a Plazmaman Tube and Fin cooler I think will work better under constant load or real

life street speeds or a constant load circuit car for example... It will clearly breath the most cooling ambient airflow... PWR unit

somewhere behind that with its slightly tighter 16mm tube pitch.

Yeah over 11+yrs. I believe we met at Sema in Vegas Nov 2002... I cant recall meeting you again after that. Spoke every few days for a few years..

Allgood. Happy to test it unbiased. ill also measure the effect on engine water temps...

Honestly I will be very interested to see the result after 3 mins... It will be good. I have a several thousand dollar 8 Channel logger on my car.

We may as well use it. Ive actualy been testing some exhausts of late (that's another story)

Cheers

Edited by Sir20B

• Member For: 17y 9m 27d

ill also measure the effect on engine water temps...

Cheers

On the street and at the drag strip water temps are well in control even with my stage 3 core.

At the circuit..who cares??...they overheat when doing laps with the stock intercooler in place.

Kev

On the street and at the drag strip water temps are well in control even with my stage 3 core.

At the circuit..who cares??...they overheat when doing laps with the stock intercooler in place.

Kev

For the Back to back test I think its still a factor of interest to measure...

Let me know when youve got a cooler ready to go.

Cheers

PS ill need a M5 x 1.0 female boss in each tank close to the outlets..

Also a 1/8th NPT female in each also..

Edited by Sir20B

Yes it should be good, though conversation actually finished a little prematurely..

The conversation was really only focussed on one aspect of the function of an intercooler...

This being out outlet air temp... Which as we said favours the B&P (Bar & Plate) cooler for

short load period with longer recovery time..

There are soo many other factors relevant/critical in the performance of any whether it be

B&P or T&F (Tube and Fin)

1: Boost side pressure drop and lack of it. The lower the better is what we are after... The

16mm tube pitch PWR T&F cooler will romp this in. Flow Flow and lots off it... maybe 2-3

times less pressure drop compared to the B&P in question on this thread with or without

the 100mm removed off the top.

Lower boost side pressure drop also has a few added advantages...

2: Faster off boost response & (in the case of a manual car) less lag time between gears.

Lag time on turbo cars is a bitch and is a real factor that should be measured and factored

into any intercooler test.. I can easily add an RPM Function to the data logger and find the

cooler offering the lowest/least lag time... (measured by lowest RPM point when 1.000psi

positive pressure is seen in the intake manifold). This will favour the T&F core.. ill throw it

out there, 200rpm sooner

3: Lower Turbo charger discharge temp simply due to not having to turn the turbo as hard

to obtain the desired boost level at the engine intake manifold. This is set up on my data

logger anyway.. For the test we'll use say 10psi at engine intake as an aim. The higher

pressure drop we see on the B&P cooler will see higher turbo discharge temps..

4: Ambient air side pressure drop. I can arrange a wind tunnel ambient air side pressure

drop test..This will favour the T&F core, ill throw it out there and say 25% greater flow

5: Lowest outlet air temp after 1x 15sec dyno pull Full load. This is in favour for the B&P

coler if done from cold (which in this test will be). The B&P cooler is heavier in construction...

It takes longer to heat up....along with a longer cool down period.

6: Lowest out let air temp after 3min period @ 10psi at the intake manifold.. (pending

transmission oil temps) The continuous load period will off set the initial "weight" advantage

of the heavier B&P cooler. This will be interesting...

7: Lowest outlet air temp after quarter mile drag pass. This should be in favour of the B&P cooler ,

but still I'd like to confirm. The T&F core will see higher ambient airflow less heat into the cooler...

it will be interesting..

8: Lowest outlet air temp after 3 laps of Queensland raceway or lakeside...This I am dreaming

if I think the stock brakes on a FG will cope with more than 1 lap. This one we will have to rely on

the result of test 6..

9: and last but not least... Engine Water Temps. Logging the peak water temp with each cooler...

and obviously awarding the point to the unit that consistently sees the lower peak water temp.

This will favour the T&F cooler..

So for the test, best out of the above??

Happy to add further

Along with the temp sensor bosses mentioned in previous post above, Ill also need a set of lower

pipes to fit the PW cooler, as the PWR unit retains stock pipes or stock shape equivalent...

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 10m 3d

We tried to get one of these going a while back, long story short it didn't happen.