Fg Xr6 Suspension Swap Into G6 Limited

Jizza

• Member For: 14y 1m 6d

Hi gents, have recently purchased some near new XR6 springs and shocks for the G6 Limited.

Query - safe to assume that swapping these into a G6 will result in same hub to guard measurement which can be found on FG XR6???

This will result in a 10-15mm reduction in stance height by my estimate which is better than nothing, and obviously improved cornering compared with the G6 standard issue which corners like a toyota hi-ace van.

Has anyone performed this kind of surgery replacement with "factory" gear from a transplant vehicle?

I dont have the time to do it myself so will likely have Pedders do it.

Interesting point to note, asked the Ford dealer for a price to do the same job while they will already have the wheels off for the 15k service......they want $650, Pedders will do the job from scratch for $370

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

Should be fine, although the trade off will be a stiffer ride than what you are used to. Why didnt you go aftermarket? Ford gear will be worn out after 50,000km or so.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 15d

I would say your spot on there, I doubt there is any other changes that would affect the hub to guard measurement.

I think seduced might be a little anti-Ford... :rolleyes:

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m

Yeah... If fitting different springs, why not go aftermarket kings???

Prob get full spring setup for $300 delivered!!! And a decent drop and nice ride ;-)

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I would say your spot on there, I doubt there is any other changes that would affect the hub to guard measurement.

I think seduced might be a little anti-Ford... icon_ford.gif

Ah that or he has owned Fords before. Your OEM's will be stuffed @50,000k's mark depending on how it has been used.

Three hours max labour to change the shocks and springs. For mine $350 max.

You might want to have a good look at your upper, lower and radial bushes in the front while they are in there. Lower bushes in the rear. Ford OEM's are good for about 30,000k's. Don't forget the extra stress the XR springs will put on them, so they will wear quicker.

FYI XR's handle like crap, compared to what a decent after market set up will give you. Then you can complain on how little life you get out of your tires beerchug.gif

Should be fine, although the trade off will be a stiffer ride than what you are used to. Why didnt you go aftermarket? Ford gear will be worn out after 50,000km or so.

Simple economics there......aftermarket shocks and springs $700 - $1000 plus, standard XR6 with 14,000 km from someone who has already updated their shocks and springs = $180

Car already has a ridiculously firm ride over bumps, I expected the move from a BF XR to a G6 would mean a bit more slop around corners but a much softer ride over bumps etc, turns out I got the worst of both worlds, all of the corner slop and a thump in the rear and front over every bump or surface transition, it really is a crap ride, and when you give it a bit around corners and the surface changes the thing is all over the place......just crap Mr Ford.

Edited by Jizza

Just dont expect the XR ones to be much better.

At 45,000kms on my BFII, front springs were replaced as they were bowing inwards. The shocks have that OEM rattle top mount bush problem. Overall, the ride and handling is a resonable balance for a cheap large car. Nothing special. I understand you dind't want to spend money, but there is a reason your mate updated his suspension at 14,000kms.

I will be replacing all the suspension in a year or so.

I should also add, its a my car but under a private lease and will be updated after 3 years (75000km or so), hence no desire to go too wild with it. Just want to improve the drivability of the thing while I have it as the stock suspension is crap. It has been back to Ford 5 times, they cant replicate the issues I am having in road tests (of course). Actually had them suggest the tyre pressure was too high and that was the reason........

Had the front sway bar work its way loose and rattle like the front end was collapsing, they sure found that.

Inherent issues with Independent rear perhaps......I dunno, the BF XR with 80000km handled bumps better than this from new, as does the wifes 60000km old Mazda SP23

Wow, something not right there. The G6s have been praised for a nice ride.. Its a shame Ford dealers are incapable of helping their customers. Sales will never go up while this continues.

Well made the swap today with the neighbour who is a former brake technician, the difference is astounding. None of the sloppy corner roll (in comparison anyway) and handles bumps heaps better.

Dropped the car 15mm give or take all round, will see how it settles.

Off to Pedders this week for an alignment and a safety check just in case, perhaps an upgrade to the swaybars or bushes if needed, and if it still needs to go down a little perhaps some lowered springs.

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY