Fg Diff Noise

michaelhardy

• Member For: 12y 11m 3d

I got an 09 (standy) which has a mild whine and clunk at 37 thou , took it to Sunshine Ford in Southport and went for a burn with the workshop manager and he had no probs ordering me a replacement diff, that was Monday so should see it sometime in the next few weeks ...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member For: 14y 6m 4d

I've had two diffs fail (one basically exploded and spewed diff oil all over my new garage floor) and a tailshaft shear in half, all within 65,000kms. Plus diff bushes failing on average every 15-20,000kms. Under-engineered for the torque I think, when will Ford get with the program and realise the need to make some drastic changes to their drivelines. The ZF seems to be the only reliable driveline component *touch wood*

Josh

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 15y 5m 23d

X2

im having the same issue in my FG turbo ute!!

Diff has gotten really clunky and rattley.... when launching hard and coming to a stop, on idle it makes a bad vibration/clunking sort of noise from the back (more the left hand side), then I cruise and its all gone....

Its really got me stuffed! on the hoist both wheels dont spin at the same time when one tyre is rotated.

cars engine is modified, suspension is herrords kit,

any suggestions or advice?

thanks allot

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 5d

Ford and not spending the money to get it right the first time? My diff has been knocked back under warranty since new, since I have now modified the engine the diff is definately not going to get fixed. From what I have been told the drive shaft and the actual lash in the diff gears arent set to small enough tollerances and over time (albeit little time) the lash in the driveline leads to knocking and clunking when the driver backs off or gets on the gas. A small tollerance not set properly in several components over lots of different components adding another small gap means a big gap over the length of the driveline and results in a clunk when all the parts move in sequence. I know we shouldnt have to as a customer that's paid good money but I am going to get after market gear and be done with fraud sh*t once and for all early next year one time bank pain for long term satisfaction.

• Like 1

Guest XR09
  • Guests

I blew the std one. Put in a Kaaz. Was told they were great. Talk about noisy and bring out the driveline shunt.. Now a tremac. Not bad. Nice after the Kaaz.

The diffs are not that noisy. The way the rear end is mounted makes for a noisy rear end.

And the more you go away from the stock height. As in lower it. The noisier it will get.

I'm sure some sound proofing would go a long way. Pull up your wafer thin carpet and looks what's under it......

• 2 weeks later...