Have Shot A Rod Out Of Block

razza0066

• Member For: 13y 10m 19d

It was a custom tune done at the end of 2006 I only got it a few months ago though. The tune was done at kpm, funny though cause about three weeks or so before it happend I went there and said it had lost a bit of power and had a very slight knocking noise and the guy said it might just need a service, some plugs and to check if all the turbo bolts etc were tight, I also asked him about rods because I noticed lots of people commenting about them bending and he said they are usually fine up until around 300 to 320 rwkw guess he was wrong. Were is this Bruce Heinrich guy at and do you have a number.

Edited by RHR
No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 13d

should NEVER just assume a tune done by a previous owner is still gonna be ok. always get it checked.

my ba bottom end is holding well on 17psi and 350+rwkw. and im thinking of upping to 19-20psi. ( :spoton: dont tell bruce though)

bruce heinrich tuned of course. :bum: its all in the tune.....

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 6d

Someone is selling an xr6turbo engine from an FG... Long motor... $3500 in WA... Less than 20k on it...

Jump on it...

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 15d

I did this change over in January this year. Blew my BF1 motor, and bought an FG F6 short motor from ford delivered for $2800. In all I did the change over, including a new engine mount, K&N oil filter and enough fluids for the first 2 services for under $5000.

Firstly, the FG F6 has a different part number for their rods compared with the FG XR6T rod... this I have been told is due to them using a different bush in the rod. Also, the FG F6 uses a forged piston. You will encounter a couple of small hic-cups changing from BA/F to FG, one being that the engine mount on the engine side will need a bit of a grind to fit, and you'll need to punch the plug out of the front dipstic hole to allow the dipstick to fit in (MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS BEFORE FITTING THE MOTOR AS ITS A *beep* HAVING TO REMOVE THE MOTOR TO PUNCH A HOLE OUT)

Anyhow, I have a writeup on what I did.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64317&hl=knocking+from+motor&st=72

I did one on my build with poto's and sh*t but I can't find it :icon_ford:

Good luck anyway, pm me if you need any tips. cheers.

• Member For: 16y 3m 7d

Sorry to hear it has died.......bummer.

I think poor tunes are not blamed enough. Usually it is blamed on std components not being able to take the heat. The stereo should always be turned down when giving it a bit of a hiding so ANY detonation can be heard.

Ignition timing map is JUST AS IMPORTANT as correct fuelling.......

my ba bottom end is holding well on 17psi and 350+rwkw

probably why this bottom end is still alive.

Who tunes your car should not be taken lightly.

Any pics?

Edited by Smoke them tyres

• Member For: 13y 10m 19d

mate ring bruce heinrich, the cheapest bloke in sa to do your donk, pretty busy though so don't think it will be a 2 week job,..was it a custom tune or generic? I think he rccomends an fg short which he puts bigger rods in last one I heard was 5500- 6k fitted I think

Went and seen Bruce heinrich today, got a good quote to get another block put in, better rods, a new set of standard pistons(as he thinks they are good quality), better valve springs, fuel pump, check top end ok, exaust system, new intercooler, better injectors, assemble it, take out and put back in and a few small bits and peices for between 6 to 7 grand. Dont have cash just yet got to sort out in next week or to.

Was gonna get the short motor, but he said he can build better one cheaper. Still not sure if im gonna get brand new block or second hand yet with low km. Bruce seems to think one with low km will do job as you can do sh*t loads of km in them and they show f all signs of wear.

Cheers for recomending him he reckons I will get the power I wont with out really pushing the motor much either.

I will try upload some pics of car and some of my block pieces not exactly sure how to do though?

post-40388-12771893087_thumb.jpg

post-40388-127718935344_thumb.jpg

• Member For: 14y 1m 28d

Sorry to hear about the blown engine. Suprising that your query regarding the knocking/pinging noise didn't raise more eyebrows, as it's a very serious issue. Good choice with Bruce too.

• All round good guy!
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Sorry to hear your issue. Been reading the thread and some good advice there.

I'd go the second hand block. Its had a bit of wear and I always reckon that's a good thing myself.

Good luck and let us know ho you go.