Xcal 1 Going Offline Discussion

senna_T

• The Cleaning Dudes Ute
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 11d

I went to Tunehouse last Saturday to have a look at the tuning software and dongle.

The tuning software cannot now tune an xcal1, it has been removed from the SCT software.

I was told I have no choice but to upgrade to xcal3, as big engine F6 was to be tuned Monday.

After converting from xcal1 to 3 the car no longer starts.

It's been referred to Herrod for support.

Brian

Ah crap, I'm doing exactly that Monday with my tuner.

*fingers crossed*

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 1d

Hope it works perfectly first time Jarrod!!!

And that they get these f*cking things editing the ZF...

If they are gonna make you upgrade, they should at least make it worthwhile for the ZF boys! :spoton:

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 4m 13d

Sorry Worm, there is no excuse for them making us upgrade and turning our old box from being worth "something" to nothing. It's f*cking illegal and that's all there is to it.

If people accept this it will be all too easy for it to happen again, and again. It would be like letting the Nazi's win.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

The Xcal1's will still work, just can't be retuned/supported anymore. No different to Windows 95/98/2000/me and shortly XP.

There is nothging illegal in what they have done. The xca1 didn't come with a "company support for life, will work forever" tag attached. It was always going to become redundant. I have one too, when I need a tune, I'm just going to have to update.

No different to digital TV, CDMA to Next G. Build a bridge gents, there are bigger things in life to complain about.

• Team Kickass
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 27d

The crappy thing about it is that they reset my old box for $180 only 2-3 months ago and that would piss anyone off as they could have told me then that they were about to be redundant within weeks............. To make matters worse I had my car booked in for a retune and three days before I speak to my tuner to find out that the xcal1 no longer works say good bye to the retune for a while.

Edited by Slymeat

• Abuser of Charvels
  • Member For: 20y 4m 13d

The Xcal1's will still work, just can't be retuned/supported anymore. No different to Windows 95/98/2000/me and shortly XP.

There is nothging illegal in what they have done. The xca1 didn't come with a "company support for life, will work forever" tag attached. It was always going to become redundant. I have one too, when I need a tune, I'm just going to have to update.

No different to digital TV, CDMA to Next G. Build a bridge gents, there are bigger things in life to complain about.

You really have a simple outlook on life don't you? Windows 98 is not worth much, but it's not worthless, it is still the same product that they stopped supporting but you can use today. This is nothing like any of that.

Xcal1's weren't worth much as they were the older unit but they still had a street value as they did function as intended UNTIL this was turned off, so no, they don't work anymore as you can't sell one to someone to tune their car with.

And unlike Digital TV, there has not been a phase out period of many years. Also unlike Digital TV, this type of product doesn't need a phase out period, support can stop but disabling the boxes primary function to make us buy the new one is illegal. Again unlike Digital TV, people were still buying/being sold/being unlocked like the post above right up until the cut off. Nobody was being told at Harvey Norman to buy an analog TV because it will be fine, all they are selling is digital and everyone knows about it.

I've never been to jail and I don't like being done in the ass.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 27d

Its not a simple outlook, it is a stressless one though. You should try it. I am no different, I was booked in for a tune which I now cannot have unless I upgrade the box which I'm not ready to do yet.

So what do you want them to do? Re-design their new software so it supports the xcal1 for a short period of time so they can call it a phase out period, only to end up in the exact same place a few months later? Is it SCTs fault for not telling you, or your Tuner? Is their responsibility to you? Should SCT wait until every existing customer knows before they phase it out? 18 months ago they began the phase out plans. If that didnt raise alarm bells for you, than is that SCTs fault? What obligation do they have to you that they should support you until you are good an ready tp upgrade? A business has to move forward whether its customers (you've only bought one item from them. That does not make you loyal)are ready or not.

Why is it SCT's fault that YOU can't sell the box to someone else? Why would they consider your sales? If there are consumers out there who what an XCAL box, as far as SCT is concerned, they should buy a new one rather than used to ensure its supported by tuners. As for YOU, the box still works fine as intended. If you want to use THEIR software to re-tune your car, you'll need a new box.

Shall we sue Telstra because my CDMA phone just stopped working one day which made it worthless? What if I never heard they were turning them off? Where do you draw the line between cut off date and making sure every customer knows about it?

You can still use your Xcal1, but if you want a new tune, buy a new box. Their software does not support the old box anymore. Welcome to earth man. Take a teaspoon of cement.

Edited by seduced

• Toughest BA Turbo
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 3m 30d

I don't agree with this response, as our situation is not a direct comparison with your example.

I use XP, using some critical business apps, and perform updates to my software, as I am a software vendor. I will possibly use the 32-bit app for another year or so.

The fact that Microsoft may remove official support does not stop or inhibit me from continuing to use the software (XP) for my software development and usage.

In fact many large companies use software well past the date that official support is removed.

In our case the vendor (SCT) has cut off support of the capability for our devices to be tuned, and the reason has nothing to do with redundancy, rather because another company has found a way to re-use old boxes. SCTs response is to disable all boxes, because they can, and because it generates a whole lot more revenue for SCT.

Maybe not illegal, but dodgy business practice.

Normal commercial practice is to entice customers to trade up to later versions when there is something to offer. I don't see anything being offered here, rather a threat that if you don't pay $795 (less $200), you can no longer have your car tuned.

Brian