Fuel Consumption Through The Roof - Related To Fmic?

colossus

• Member For: 15y 16d

Thanks for your help guys anyway - spoke to a couple of tune shops and they recommended injectors and a custom tune to fix this issue. If this is the case I'm just going to put the stock cooler back on.

Final question - given my obviously limited knowledge of how restrictive the factory tune is - is it OK to have a pod filter (its boxed with a CAI) without a custom tune (have one sitting around the garage from a previous car).

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 17y 6m 4d

Unlikely that it is related to the larger cooler. Many many maaaany people have installed just a cooler, or have gone to the extent of replacing the cooler and hot and cold side piping without issues of overboosting or leaning out. The ECU is smart enough to compensate for colder air, and a Monza wont flow any better than a stock so your not going to gain additional boost, just a cooler intake charge.

Watch out for the cowboys above, they just want to scare you.

Get your car scanned for any issues, O2 could be on its way out, could have leaky injector, could be any number of things.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 1d

Are you getting your figures from the instrument computer or calculating them yourself?

I find the on-board readout exaggerates what I am actually using. If I let the car idle up to temp, my fuel consumption readout goes waaaay up. Resetting the computer via a battery disconnection usually brings it back to normal. I go from 15+ back to 12-13s after the reset.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 8m 21d

Unlikely that it is related to the larger cooler. Many many maaaany people have installed just a cooler, or have gone to the extent of replacing the cooler and hot and cold side piping without issues of overboosting or leaning out. The ECU is smart enough to compensate for colder air, and a Monza wont flow any better than a stock so your not going to gain additional boost, just a cooler intake charge.

Watch out for the cowboys above, they just want to scare you.

Get your car scanned for any issues, O2 could be on its way out, could have leaky injector, could be any number of things.

Best answer so far IMO! The stock tune operates with a PI closed loop boost control system so if you add a monza cooler and don't change the cat you're not going to be risking anything....no if's no buts! If you had it tuned and then made changes then its a different story as 99% of tuners force open loop boost control so there's no feedback to target a 'desired' boost. If you're not going into limp mode (and you won't be) then your AFR's will be fine. The PCM has a air temp correction to the boarderline knock table...and this correction can get a little aggressive (for safety) so if anything the slightly cooler intake temps will mean less timing is getting pulled on the hotter days. If you're cruising off boost most of the time then you're in closed loop fuelling and the O2 feedback will target 14.64 AFR.....changing the cooler is not going to change this so economy should not change.

As south said, you may have greater fuelling problems. Wouldn't hurt to have a look at your plugs and if you're really concerned change O2's and clean injectors. Going and getting a tune isn't going to help your cause.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

Have you ever had the engine light come on or anything, usually the first suspect with running rich is a dodgy O2 sensor.

Either way you don't have any worries about it running lean and detonation...quite the opposite. And regardless of what the tuners you spoke to recommended, throwing bigger injectors and a tune on it is unlikely to fix it if there's an underlying problem.

• Member For: 15y 16d

No never had a check engine light. Actually car has always been flawless. One thing I did notice though is that when I tightened the exhaust manifold bolts on the weekend the cross brace that holds the exh. manifold to the dump pipe had come off all together (the bolt was gone) on the dump pipe side and this brace was almost touching the o2 sensor. I wonder if vibration through this brace was bumping the sensor and has stuffed it? I know its a bit of a long shot...

• Member For: 14y 4m 13d

Have you checked what your engine temperature gauge is doing? If you have a faulty thermostat the engine may be running cooler and the ECU richening up the mixtures?

Cheers Ben