What To Spend My Suspension $$$ On

mjadeb1984

• Señor Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 4m 19d

Hi all

was thinking about upgrading my stock suspension and looking a two possible options, at the moment I have an uninstalled set of sl and ssl kings in their box.

now option 1 is to keep the springs and get some bilstien shocks, front sway bar and any bushes recomended by you knowledgable people

and option 2 is to sell the kingys and buy a set of coil overs either pedders extreme xa's $1950 or anything else recommended.

not planning on any track days but I do live in the hills and enjoy a late night blast as often as I can also the cash is a major point as 2000 is a bit outta my price range?

obviously good coil-overs are my better option but how would a well set up and quality option 1 compare to a cheap set of coilovers such as pedders or the ones pats selling in his "falcon coilovers" group buy. as tiens are outta my price range

what do people recommend?

cheers and look foward to any replies :spoton:

Edited by mjadeb1984

• Mmmmm......BOOST
  • Member For: 16y 11m

had a set up with whiteline springs 20mm lower and adjustable whiteline bars front and back and it felt rock solid at all speeds , if you really want it to handle and not just looks one of the main things is your ride hieght try searching some of erko's posts he did a bit of research on this

Guest Slash
  • Guests

Bilsteins with Kings SL/SSL combo & front/rear adjustable swaybars on my F6 was unbeatable. Perfect on the street & handled the track well when I went a few times...

Have Pedders coilovers in my ute now & am soon making the change back to Bilsteins.

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Keep the springs, go the bilsteins or rebuildable Koni's and super pro bushes. If you need more turn in go a rear sway bar. Then save for the front if you think you still need it.

Edited by XR09

• Señor Member
  • Donating Members

cool thanks for your replies it seems I might be making a call to pat for some prices.

is there any other bushes I should be looking at getting?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 5d

hypnodoc said he was very happy with his car after changing all the front bushes for nolothane ones.

im sure senna_t (pat @ wholesale suspensions) will be able to help with bushes as well

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 19d

I had bilsteins and 30 mm lower cobra springs fitted a month ago. Transformed the car!, definatly go for the bilsteins,-better for the road, koni's a bit more track orientated. Dont forget the rear bumpstops, mine was sitting on the stock bumpstops, changed them for shorter ones and she dropped another 9mm at the rear wheel- made it level. :icon_ford:

• Like 1

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

I probably wouldn't agree with hawlass on the Koni Vs Bilstein comment - the koni's are probably more comfortable on city streets that have lots of road breaks and small ripples and pot-holes as they are a bit smoother being predominantly oil based. With the bilsteins being Nitrogen charged they can be a bit firmer on small or "high frequency" bumps.

If you like your ride firmer, go for the Bilsteins, the Koni's will still give you great performance, but will probably be more comfortable for average roads.

Replacing bushes in key areas is highly recommended. The Front Lower Control Arm bushes are a must, also the Diff Bushes. Second pick would be front upper control arm bushes and the rear Control blade bushes.

Ultimately it comes down to your budget - lets not forget that! From a budget sense, keep the coils you have, add the shocks. Bushes can end up pricey if your workshop charges like a wounded bull, so keep that in mind and get some quotes.

• Like 3

• Señor Member
  • Donating Members

cheers pat,

I was hoping you would have a read of this thread.

how much would a set of konis and front lower control arm bushes set me back/

and is a front sway bar a must?

:buttonit:

• Forged Member
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 21d

No worries mate,

Koni's $1100

Bushes $200

Ball Joints $60 (do them while the arms are out)

DeliverY $50 :buttonit:

The front swaybar isn't a must, but its easy to fit anyway, so you can do it at a later date.