Au Series 3 Blowing Black Smoke

PRO-4.0L

• Member For: 13y 10m 11d

Hi fellas I have a problem with my AU SERIES 3 I6 INTECH blowing black smoke and chewing though fuel like crazy. I have changed the coil packs,spark plugs,knock sensor,fuel pressure regulator,fuel filter,fuel pump,spark plug leads,map sensor,O2 sensor cleaned the throttle body pcv and the whole lot only use bp ultimate (waste of money). Does anyone please have any clues what it could be ??? cheers

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

I meant your spark plugs mate, the 02 sensor will be black due to the rich mixture.

Pull the spark plugs and check the colour, if only a couple of one is black thats likely the cylinder that is running rich,

Since you have changed pretty much everything bar the ecu I would suggest a leaking injector.

But if your coolant temp sensor if u/s and the ECU doesnt get the values it its looking for it will stay in cold mode and pour a heap of juice into the motor to try and warm it up

• 8 years later...
  • Member For: 4y 11m 20d

I am having the exact same problem. I have a 2002 AU series II 1 tonner auto. I have changed the plugs, coil pack, fuel pump, fuel filter, had injectors serviced with new o rings etc, new air filter and taken it to an ex Ford technician whom is very familiar with this model and he's stumped. He changed out o2 sensor and I think map sensor. He's telling me I need a new engine. The problem is intermittent. some days it will cruise around all day, no problems but usually after a highway run it will run like a bag of sh*t, idle really rough at about 400-500 rpm, sometimes stall and spew black smoke. Then it goes away! All this with either aircon on or off. Never gets overly hot, needle sits between the "O" and "R" in the "NORMAL" range regardless of the ambient temperature. I am losing coolant very slowly but no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. Otherwise, when its running good, it is smooth as silk, lots of power etc. WTF? PLease help!