Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Member For: 15y 14d

Given the many recommendations by forum members I too have purchased 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym - 245/40/R18 from

Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com/)...the total cost to my door (in Adelaide) was $966.55...they will be balanced

and fitted tomorrow for $50...given the best price I could get in Adelaide was $450 per tyre this is a significant

saving...I would definiately endorse Tire Rack...delivery time was less than 7 days...note the lack of credit card

payments was a minor inconvenince...if you prefer buying in Australia definately give Beaurepaires Box Hill a call

(see above for details)...they seemed like top blokes and provided the best price I could find...I hope this info

helps. :)

Brilliant thread..I have been to all tyre shops today for quotes on Goodyear Eagle F1's..$420-$500 was the given prices...When you go on tire rack website..I cannot get past the zip code thing to process order..I guess you have to email them to get shipping then?

• Member For: 15y 8m 12d

Never even heard of the Accelera. Anyone ever tried them? Thoughts?

Been running Accelera Alpha tyres on my taxi since June 2010. Love 'em.

Went with them after reading the Wheels comparison article a couple of years ago.

Taxis generally run hard compound tyres so that they last longer. But just try and drive them on wet roads.

I don't own the car that I drive (ie I lease it) so wheels and tyres are the owner's responsibility. But I wanted good wheels and tyres so bought my own.

I have gone with BSA 291 17" rims because I like the look of them and they are the most practical. They are a skimpy five spoke rim so are the easiest to keep clean (ie wide open gaps instead of small, hard to reach corners). These rims also allow better brake cooling and mean that I can see the brake pads (ie replace them before they scratch the rotors).

With Accelera Alpha tyres the car is MUCH more predictable in ALL situations. I regularly deal with cats/dogs/foxes/rabbits/drunk dickheads running out in front of the car and can now brake without even requiring the ABS to kick in.

I've read good things about the Nexen N6000 tyres on one of the other Falcon forums so am tempted to try a set sometime, solely for the reason that the distributor for Accelera in Perth (YHI Australia) doesn't always have stock of the Acceleras, and when I need tyres I need them the same day (ie blowout/flat tyre replacement).

But, basically, I'm hooked on the Accelera. I've been paying $125 per tyre, fitted (ie $250/pair, $500/set). Heck, that's the same cost as standard 16" rubbish.

I don't know yet how many km a set will last because I'm having front camber problems and am wearing out the tyre insides prematurely. I'll be looking into a camber kit in the near future and negotiating the cost with the owner. I've just had the alignment done at WA Suspensions after learning that tyre shops don't know what they are doing with alignments on BF Falcons so will see how they wear before pursuing a camber kit.

But, for a cost vs grip/performance ratio, I am extremely pleased with these tyres. I paid for them out of my own pocket but the benefits mean that I have no regret doing so.

35115_410733885698_538215698_4431823_7199255_n.jpg

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Hey Nechrpmar, you need to send Tire Rack an email to their sales email address (use Contact Us on their website). They'll take your order over email giving you a reference number possibly (I've not used them but sent them an email previously asking how to order from Australia) based on the website prices and you have to send them a money order from memory. Anyway a quick email should clear up the process for you. You must have been looking for larger than 17s because I only paid $225 a corner for F1 17's at Beauriepares in Box Hill VIC in late Sep 2010.

Yes all taken care of..With the dollar being so good...$185 each 245/40/18's+$225 postage..Total $965USD.Woah the exchange rate changed in 1 hour..Xe,com..said $947 last night..$953 before I left home..and Suncorp charged me $969...yet I check now and it says $958...Something not right there..Feel like I been bent over and digitally penetrated...haha

Anyway.With $30 for sending the money(note just need security token and I could have done it from my own computer)= $1000....Fingers crossed they be here by Friday :)

• 2 weeks later...

Tyres arrived today! Very happy.And they are German made..Was worried after that post about chinese copies. They would have been here exactly 7 days after ordering..Had it not been for floods in New South Wales-Grafton..Meaning they got stuck down there..Followed by Brisbane's flooding and all deliveres cancelled last week.

So that's $250 a tyre I paid.Compared to an average of $465 quoted here...Not there was any stock available anyway..$22 a wheel to fit tomorrow :)

Does anyone recommend filling with nitrogen?

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 28d

Anyone tried the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 before?

Yes tried the Advans. They are a good tyre and very quiet, but seemed to go off after 10000 klm and they ar very pricey. At half tread I replaced them with Marangonis which were OK. After 5000 klm in a fit of boredom one day I got rid of the Marangonis and fitted Sumitomo HZR111s. The Sumitimos are quiet enough they have much better take off traction and grip better wet and dry. For the cost per wheel I think the Sumitomos are much better value than the Advans.