Tyre Comparo - Which Ones Are Good?

EvilDaifu

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Hi, I just read a 2008 Wheels tyre comparison at

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2008/tyre-test-2008-6873

I think it might still be fairly relevent because we are probably still driving around on the tyres they reviewed (though not sure if there are better models from these manufacturers now in 2010).

The reviewer rated the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and Falken FK 452 as the best tyres for 235/45R17 size.

235/45R17

Rank Tyre Score(/100)

1 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 98.95 $349

2 Falken FK 452 98.22 $219

3 Accelera Alpha 96.93 $124

4 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 96.48 $259

5 Bridgestone Turanza ER300 95.76 $229

6 Pirelli Dragon 94.94 $229

7 Sumitomo HTRZ II 94.14 $179

Interestingly, I used to drive an Audi A4 and chose and used Pirelli P6000s and thought they were good, but for our BAs, the Pirelli's don't rate as well!

Notably Michellin are not in the comparo but the reviewer explained this as "if they are not willing to be compared, you gotta ask what are they trying to hide".

I quite like the cost of the Falken's - they look good value for money.

I am thinking of changing from my Dunlop Sports 3000 stock tyres to something else. Anybody else got comments on these tyres above or any other tyres?

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 3d

I think anything other than the OEM tyres would be a step in the right direction!

Assume you're looking at 17"? Used to run the pirelli dragons and couldn't fault them. Reasonable life, excellent grip in all conditions, and reasonably priced.

• Member For: 20y 7m 22d

Everyone is going to have their own opinions and experiences but for me I'm sure there are a number of other better tyres available than what's in that test. It all depands on what you want to spend and what you expect from a tyre. Do you want the best at any cost, just something to get you around, dry weather performer or a good all rounder?

Other suggestions:

Kuhmo KU36

Federals 595RS

Continental Contact Sport 3

Michellin PS2 or 3

Pirelli P Zero

From that list you have I'd pick the Goodyears

Benny

Guest XR09
  • Guests

Ive had nexen 5000 not bad. Cheap, noisey and don't last. Go off easy.

PS II's... not good noisey as in the groan and complain but stick well. Good in the wet and braking but feel like dunlops around the corners..never really stuck

Goodyears.... all good. So far

• Idiot Member
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 7d

Has anyone tried Nittos? Particuarly the Invo and NT05's. My Dunslop sport maxx are allmost due and I'm thinking about trying them.

Full set of either or Invos on the front and NT05's rear.

• Member For: 15y 2m 23d

I'm never buying nexen N3000s again...feels like my car is skating on ice lol, plant my foot in 1,2 or 3rd on a straight and it kicks sideways, makes my car feel slow as sh**.

What would be the best value and tyres that actually have grip for my T running 342rwkw, my rim sizes are 18x8.5fr and 18x9.5 rear?? currently use nexen n3000 225s front and 275s rear. would kumho be the go?? I dont really want to pay $300+ per corner.

Edited by Lynchy