Ticking Noise From Motor.

XAH03

• Member For: 16y 5m 18d

I just got back from a drive in my BA T (about 200km's) and not far from getting back home I noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine.

The ticking rises and falls with the revs and started out quiet but got louder. I turned the car off when I got it in the garage and popped the bonnet. couldnt see any oil or anything wrong. went to start it back up but it wouldnt start, it was like the engine had locked up. so I left it for a a while and then went back and it started normally but still had the ticking.

I had a bit of a listen around the engine and it sounds like its comming from the top somewhere but I cant be too sure.

Just wondering if anyone would know what the problem is or got any ideas where to look?

Details: 03 BA XR6T Nizpro injectors, valve springs, tune, cooler, intake, turbo modded.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 16y 11m 26d

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but im guessing you have a bent rod on your hands

although I hope for your sake im wrong I wouldnt be driving it untill somebody has a good look at it because the next step is it smashing a hole in your block and coming out for look of the inside of your engine bay shutup.gif

cheers trev

Edited by trevs

I let it sit for a few hours then started it and theres no ticking for a bit then it slowly comes back.

I dont know whats wrong with it :beerchug:

the fact your engine locked up still makes me think bent rod

as the oil warms up or thins out the ticking comes back bent rod

ticking sound that increase with rpm or under load bent rod worse case scenario anyway

id stop starting it untill somebody looks at it better to be safe than sorry a bent rod may not be the end of the world a hole in your block is major pain in the ass

anyway like I said I hope for your sake its something simple and cheap but the fact I see your cars pushing 340rwkw I dont hold much hope

cheers trev

Im going to give my tuner a call in the morning and see what he says. If he needs it in there I'll get it towed in so they have a look at it.

It sounds like its in the valve train somewhere like a rocker or something.

it reminds me of my old skyline with the RB30 and the usual ticking that those things develop, oh the memories haha

Im going to give my tuner a call in the morning and see what he says. If he needs it in there I'll get it towed in so they have a look at it.

it reminds me of my old skyline with the RB30 and the usual ticking that those things develop, oh the memories haha

yep its sure does suck

If it's Got Tits or Tires, Sooner or Later You are Gonna Have Trouble

cheers trev

• Member For: 18y 4m 21d

I know this sound very well, I have the same sound coming from my engine. Mines a BA standard valve springs, I was wondering what the chances are of having a bent valve rather than a bent rod, could the bent valve be stuck open with the piston tapping it every cycle? I guess im going to comp test it and see if its top or bottom, Im over the guessing game.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 2d

Check out my thread...

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=64317&st=0&p=962825&hl=knocking+from+motor&fromsearch=1

If it sounds anything like this DONT drive it anywhere. I had 2 bent rods, #3 was bent on both axis and was bent that bad that the rod was hitting BOTH sides of the cylinder causing a small crack in the block. The actual knock you can hear in my vid is the piston hitting on the crank (the cylinder bore had a groove worn in it from the rod and wasn't touching), I bent the rod that much that on the down stroke the bottom of the piston would hit on the top of the crank... it cost me $3000ish for a new FG F6 short motor. I'd trailer it to you tuner and let him have a look at it, and I'd highly recommend a compression test. Best of luck. :bowdown::buttrock: