Manual Or Auto?

Smithygolf

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 2m 18d

in the 21st century you also get nuked hamburgers on demand..... however I like mine cooked the old fashioned 20th century way.

just like fast food, the auto has also overtaken the manual as most peoples of choice car.

So to hell with it, lets all get lazy and fat and just enjoy the comforts of the 21st century of doing "fark all".

Edited by jetute

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member For: 19y 3m 4d

With respect to driving the car, well, one can drive the transmission computer through all its complexity to do what is required, or, one can drive the clutch pedal. I know which I consider to be the more interesting problem.

If your still not convinced about the auto and manual debate for these cars may I suggest you consider removing your current e-throttle system.

The e-throttle is a computer driven automatic...

Regards,

aa

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 1m 23d

While we dont have choice in throttle systems aiboart, we do in transmissions. So while I can still get a manual, I will.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

Fair enough, we all have choices and opinions and the world would be pretty boring without them. The "only a manual can give a real driving experience" mantra absolutely amuses me and IMO is a complete cop-out.

At the end of the day I really don't care what other people prefer. If it was a proper performance vehicle we're talking about then yeah a manual would make sense...but we're discussing a taxi FFS. :spit:

So back to the OP, take both for a decent drive and then make up your own mind.

in the 21st century you also get nuked hamburgers on demand..... however I like mine cooked the old fashioned 20th century way.

On a wood-fired hotplate? :beerchug:

• Member For: 15y 2m 17d

Hi all,

I have a bf2 turbo ute with the zf auto and find that it is a strong gearbox that is smooth as silk and rarely (if ever) caught in the wrong gear. however when I looking to buy I was chasing a manual too, till I drove both..

I strongly recommend you drive both

• Member For: 14y

I drove the auto and the manual (in that order) when buying my FG XR6T. I clearly remember the speed and smoothness of the ZF, but when I drove the manual I felt far more comfortable and loved feeling like I could exert all this influence over the car. In the end I chose the manual. I think the fact that I was only 20 had a lot to do with the decision, I had come from a manual BF XR6 so it was all I knew and I had read a lot of articles saying the days of the manual transmission were almost over so I figured this may be one of my last chances to learn how to REALLY drive a manual and what better car to do it in than my epic new XR6T.

Now 12 months on I don't regret my decision at all. Yes it sucks in heavy traffic but its a small price to pay considering how much I love my car and just love getting out and driving it anywhere! Am well used to all the sounds the gearbox/clutch makes underneath me now, have learned how to baby it so all clunking noises go away when I want and when going hard its the last thing on my mind, can't even hear it over the note! And besides a mate has a new Bogan special manual and it makes all the same noises (which made me feel a lot better). So in the end its up to you hey bud, test them both and make the call, they both go ridiculously hard. Meanwhile I will keep loving my manual, downshifting hard into corners, blipping the throttle and practicing my heel-toeing. For people around my age, I would definitely recommend the manual I reckon. My manual has taught me things about driving I never would have known in an auto, and considering how good the ZF is, I think if I had chosen it, I would have never driven a manual again.

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 13y 8m 3d

I too was trying to work this out. The best way is as many have already said is to drive BOTH!

I drove the auto the other day, but today drove both, back to back.

Same road conditions same road.

For me................Manual.